A lack of sunlight plays a role in seasonal depression which affects 10 million Americans. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

Out of the 365 days in a year, Columbus, Ohio, spends 293 of them covered by cloudy skies, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration data.

As a result of the cloudy days, students’ mental health might deteriorate, which can affect their classroom performance. This may be caused by two things — the “winter blues” or, more severely, seasonal depression, Dr. Samar McCutcheon, a psychiatrist at the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State, said.

About 10 million Americans are estimated to be affected by seasonal depression, according to Psychology Today. McCutcheon said the winter blues mainly consist of a lack of energy and motivation. However, seasonal depression, often called seasonal affective disorder, differs in that it is a depressive disorder that comes in a seasonal pattern.

School of Communication faculty member Nancy Fisher said she has noticed a shift in student performance in the classroom during winter months.

“When it gets darker outside, it seems like it’s harder for everybody to get out and get going,” Fisher, who has been teaching at Ohio State for seven of her 30 years in teaching, said.

McCutcheon said the lack of light disrupts a person’s circadian rhythm — the natural cycle of falling asleep and waking up, which relies on daylight to keep the cycle going. This disruption causes seasonal depressive symptoms to start. They usually occur during the winter months, but can happen during other seasons when light isn’t as prevalent, she said.

Fisher said she sees a drop in classroom attendance when outside light is scarce, and most of her students’ absences during this time are caused by illnesses.

“I think students have a harder time dealing with things when they can’t be outside and when the sun isn’t shining,” Fisher said.

Because it’s a tough time of year for some students, Fisher said she always follows up with students if they’re missing a lot of class.

“I always make sure to say I missed them when they come back because I think it’s important they know that their presence doesn’t go unnoticed,” Fisher said.

McCutcheon said mental illnesses can be accompanied by many physical symptoms, such as stomachaches, muscle tension and headaches. Mental illnesses can also worsen preexisting medical conditions and prevent people from correctly taking care of themselves, she said.

McCutcheon said the winter blues are hard to differentiate from seasonal depression. She recommended checking with a doctor for suspected instances of seasonal depression since it has more severe impairments.

However, a few lifestyle changes can combat the winter blues, McCutcheon said. Getting good night’s sleep and practicing good hygiene are important, as well as exercise and taking walks outside.

McCutcheon said exposure to light is an effective method in fighting winter blues.

“If you’ve been someone who has gotten a sunburn on a cloudy day, [you know] you can still get exposure to natural light,” McCutcheon said.