Ohio State then-junior wide receiver C.J. Saunders (80) waits to run a play in the Ohio State-Maryland game on Oct. 7,2017. Ohio State won 62-14. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Former Photo Editor

Ohio State sixth-year wide receiver C.J. Saunders was arrested by Columbus Police Monday night near the Ohio State campus for violation of curfew following a protest surrounding the death of George Floyd, a black man who was killed in Minneapolis police custody May 25. 

Saunders posted bond Tuesday and his arraignment is scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday, according to online court records. At Ohio State’s “Kneel for Nine” event Tuesday, Saunders clarified that he and three friends participated in the protests Monday night.

“Use me as an example that when that 10 o’clock hits, have a plan so you know where to go. If you are peacefully protesting, go do that  let your voice be heard,” Saunders said at the “Kneel for Nine” demonstration Tuesday. “However, 9 o’clock, 9:30 starts to roll around, have your ride ready so you do not have to experience the same issues that we did last night.”

The case was dismissed Thursday for time served, according to court records.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther issued a curfew in Columbus, Ohio from 10 p.m. Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday. This marked the third straight night a curfew was established for the city. 

Saunders was a team captain in 2019, becoming the first walk-on to earn the honor since Joe Berger in 2016. He is awaiting word from the NCAA on his eligibility status for the 2020 season. 

Ohio State did not respond to our request for comment at the time of publication.

This story was updated at 5:22 p.m., Thursday, June 4, 2020 with a quote from C.J. Saunders and information from the Thursday arraignment.