Student journalists and editors at the Lantern received nine awards for their work from the Society of Professional Journalists, with four selected compete for national honors.

Photo Editor Casey Cascaldo’s portrait of former Vice President Joe Biden during a 2018 visit to Ohio State, pictured above, is one of those candidates for a national award in the SPJ’s annual Mark of Excellence contest. He’ll compete against the work of other student photojournalists in the General News Photography category.

The national finalists and five other Mark of Excellence award winners were announced March 11, during the SPJ’s Region 4 Conference in Cleveland. The Lantern journalists’ written and multi-media stories were weighed against those of students at other universities in Ohio, West Virginia, Michigan and Western Pennsylvania.

Lantern TV Campus Producer Joe Matt’s videography depicting a gun rights march on campus is among those national finalists.

Seth Shanley, Rick Mulvey and Andrew Muller are national finalists for their humor column, All Jokes Aside, in the General Column Writing category.

The Lantern’s Managing Editor for Design, Jack Westerheide, is a national finalist for in the category of Sports Photography, for this image of Ohio State standout athlete and wrestler, Kyle Snyder taken before he competed in his last meet as a Buckeye.

Sheridan Hendrix, former John Oller special projects editor, was named a regional finalist for In-Depth Reporting for her series of stories, Cancer in College.

Lantern Editor in Chief Edward Sutelan was a Sports Writing finalist for his story, Forever in Section 7A.

Sutelan and Assistant Sports Editor Wyatt Crosher were finalists for their sports columns regarding former Buckeye Football Coach Urban Meyer.

Reporter Jack Long was honored for his podcast, “The Third Chair.”

And the Lantern itself was honored as one of the region’s top student newspapers.

This is the first time in several years that the Lantern has had four national finalists in this contest. Westerheide was a national finalist for Breaking News Photography last year.

Kevin Stankiewicz, a former Lantern editor in chief, won the national award for Sports Writing in 2016 for an analysis of Big Ten coaching contracts, which he reported and wrote as the Oller special projects editor.