Group shot of the BASCA members in front of the CNN Headquarters

Several years ago, School of Communication Associate Director Osei Appiah founded and established a new student organization—Black Advertising & Strategic Communication Association (BASCA), which has since been instrumental in forming stronger academic and professional relationships with students and industry professionals.

The student organization operates as a partnership between students, faculty, and professionals intended to develop and prepare Black students for careers in advertising, public relations, and marketing. The organization has been a huge success, currently with 20 active members.

BASCA seeks to increase students’ understanding of the advertising industry, lead more Black students to aspire to and achieve careers in advertising and PR, provide Black students with information and access to available careers in the industry, including academic and professional mentors and role-models, create opportunities for students to gain professional experience through internships and increase the number of Black students who take courses in advertising and major in Strategic Communication.

Each year, BASCA takes a professional development trip to an industry leading city, and meets with professionals and executives at leading advertising, PR, sports, media, and communication companies. Typically, students take a tour and meet with employees at the company who discuss the company, internships, career opportunities, and their own professional background and journey.

This year, BASCA visited Atlanta, and had meetings at CNN, Headline News (HLN), and a leading public relations and communication firm Jackson Spalding. The trip was extremely successful, and there are many more to come.

Group shot in a CNN conference room with news anchor for HLN morning show, Robin Meade

g

Group shot at Jackson Spalding