How to use the dashboard:

Student COVID-19 case numbers and trends are displayed on the large graph below. Above the graph, select the population group whose data you wish to see — you can choose from all students, on-campus students and off-campus students. 

You can also select how you would like to view the data you select. Next to your selection of population to view, you can choose to see the cumulative, 7-day average and single-day data. The graph will show how positivity rates among students have progressed since testing began.

The dashboard also lists COVID-19 for the state of Ohio, Ohio State’s PPE supply status and its quarantine and isolation housing capacities.

If you need an accessible format of the data, click here.

Oct. 19, 2020

As the state of Ohio’s new daily COVID-19 cases reach record levels, Ohio State’s positivity rates hold below 1 percent.

Ohio has reported more than 1,000 daily new cases — sometimes rising above 2,000 — for the past two weeks and has a seven-day average positivity rate of 4.8 percent, according to the Ohio Department of Health. Ohio State has held a student positivity rate of below 1 percent for the entire month of October, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard.

Hand-in-hand with the rise in cases in the state and despite the low positivity rate at Ohio State, Franklin County’s COVID-19 classification returned to red Thursday from orange. In a universitywide email Monday, Ohio State President Kristina M. Johnson said the university is monitoring the developments in communities around campuses.

“We must remain vigilant in following our Safe and Healthy Buckeyes requirements to ensure we can continue living and learning together,” Johnson said.

The seven-day average student positivity rate has held below 1 percent for October through Oct. 17, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard. The on-campus seven-day average has remained below 1 percent since Sept. 25, and the off-campus seven-day average has stayed at or below 1.3 percent since Oct. 1.

The positivity rates have trended downward since the beginning of September when the student positivity rate was about 6 percent.

Ohio State’s seven-day average is 24 new COVID-19 cases per day. The state of Ohio is currently reporting a 21-day average of 1,515 new cases per day.

Ohio State administered more than 147,000 COVID-19 tests for students through Oct. 17; of those tests, 2.22 percent were positive. More than 3,103 tests were administered to university employees through Oct. 17; of those, 2.19 percent were positive.

The university is currently using 104 of its 962 available beds for COVID-19 quarantine and isolation housing, according to the dashboard. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, quarantine is for people who have been exposed to a disease and isolation is for people who are sick with the disease.

Oct. 12, 2020

Fall foliage, cat costumes and pumpkin patches have some company this fall at Ohio State — COVID-19 student positivity rates below 1 percent.

The seven-day average student positivity rate has held below 1 percent for October through Oct. 10, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard. The on-campus seven-day average has remained below 1 percent since Sept. 25, and the off-campus seven-day average has stayed at or below 1.3 percent since Oct. 1.

The positivity rates have trended downward since the beginning of September, when the student positivity rate was about 6 percent.

Ohio State’s seven-day average is 23 new COVID-19 cases per day. The state of Ohio is currently reporting a 21-day average of 1,191 new cases per day.

Ohio State administered nearly 130,000 COVID-19 tests for students through Oct. 10; of those tests, 2.43 percent were positive. More than 2,700 tests were administered to university employees through Oct. 10; of those, 2.1 percent were positive.

The university is currently using 83 of its 962 available beds for COVID-19 quarantine and isolation housing, according to the dashboard. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, quarantine is for people who have been exposed to a disease and isolation is for people who are sick with the disease.

Oct. 5, 2020

Nearly two months after students came back to campus, Ohio State’s student positivity rates are hovering around 1 percent. 

The seven-day average positivity rate among Ohio State students is 0.8 percent for testing through Saturday; it has stayed below 1 percent since Sept. 29, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard. The seven-day positivity rate for students living on campus has stayed below 1 percent since Sept. 24. The seven-day average off-campus student positivity rate is 1.3 percent and has stayed below 2 percent since Sept. 25.

Ohio State’s COVID-19 dashboard tool received the first and only A-plus rating from a panel of academic and medical experts, led by Dr. Howard Forman, professor of public health and director of the Yale School of Public Health health care management program. 

The panel, called “We Rate COVID Dashboards,” grades data transparency and visualization tools, not the severity level of COVID-19 presence. The group also includes Eric Mayberry, senior manager of data analytics in Ohio State’s Office of the Chief Information Officer and a co-creator of Ohio State’s dashboard; however, he is not part of the grading process. At the time of publication, the panel rated 220 dashboards.

Ohio State administered more than 110,000 COVID-19 tests for students through Oct. 3; of those tests, 2.71 percent were positive. Nearly 2,500 tests were administered to university employees through Oct. 3; of those, 2.04 percent were positive.

The university is currently using 63 of its 962 available beds for COVID-19 quarantine and isolation housing, according to the dashboard. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, quarantine is for people who have been exposed to a disease and isolation is for people who are sick with the disease.

Sept. 21, 2020

Ohio State has reported a total of 2,638 cases of COVID-19 among students since Aug. 14, but recent data shows the positivity rate trending downward in all student populations.

Since the student population hit its single-day high of 6.7 percent positivity for COVID-19 Aug. 31, the 7-day average positive rate has steadily decreased to below 4 percent for off-campus students, below 1.5 percent for on-campus students and around 2 percent for all students, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The university administered more than 76,000 COVID-19 tests to students since Aug. 14. Out of 2,044 employees tested, 37 were positive.

The high positivity rates from the beginning of the semester raised concerns that Ohio State would experience an outbreak. One of those concerned was Andy Thomas, the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State’s chief clinical officer.

“The tests that were done on the 31st were around 6 percent positive and I said, ‘Oh my gosh, this is not gonna be good,’” Thomas said. “By the [following Friday], I was really feeling good about the direction things were going.”

Thomas said he suspects the downward trend is thanks to students following the university’s social distancing and other COVID-19 safety guidelines. 

“It’s the behavior of the students and their vigilance around this which is going to make all the difference for the next couple of months until we get it Thanksgiving.”