“There is real value in the work of our student journalists. That the simplest and best way I can describe why I consider the opportunity to teach at Ohio State so personally important.

It was just four years ago I made the decision to come to Ohio State. After a career that spanned more than 20 years at newspapers, including the Columbus Dispatch and the Cincinnati Enquirer, I was pretty intimidated. I had never taught a class.

I quickly found that what our smart, talented and ambitious students really need is solid advice. That, and a platform that shares what they can accomplish with the world.

That platform is The Lantern. It is the beating heart of the journalism program, through all of its history and incarnations.

It sets our students and graduates on career paths. It’s the common bond every generation of Ohio State journalists share.

It means our students report and write for publication, not just grades. If you are reading this, chances are pretty good you already know what that means, because you did it, too.

Lantern stories frequently reach a broad audience that can extend far beyond the boundaries of a 60,000-student institution. Nearly every facet of life can become a story on a campus this big.

Breaking news, sports, personal victories and tragedies, ground breaking discoveries – it’s all here. It’s woven into how we teach our students to tell stories. And it’s not just through writing.

An Ohio State journalism degree isn’t simply for print or broadcast majors. What we teach are the skills in all news mediums. A student’s path through this program means required classes and lessons in reporting, writing, photography, videography, records-based reporting, social media branding and data analysis.

And the Lantern isn’t just a newspaper. It’s a 24-7 digital media operation focused on a website that get millions of views, fed by social media channels and an e newsletter that reach out to more than 100,000 subscribers and followers.

Even though so much has changed, the core of what we teach is no different. Finding and telling
compelling stories. There’s nothing new about that.

I am humbled to be a part of a tradition that began in 1881. I am happy to collaborate with colleagues who are just as passionate about journalism as I am. I am grateful for the unwavering support for the Lantern shown by the leaders of the School of Communication, and this University.

I am proud of what our students have achieved, and will accomplish.”