Musical performers Sophie Isaacs (Janet) and Felix Mosse (Brad) perform on stage during the presentation of the new production of the ‘Rocky Horror Show.’ Credit: Courtesy of TNS

“The Rocky Horror Show,” which had a projected production schedule of Oct. 11 to Nov. 3, will stay on the Short North Stage through Nov. 25, due to popular demand.

“The Rocky Horror Show” is about a newly engaged and clean-cut couple Brad and Janet, who find themselves stranded in a storm with a flat tire. They wander to a nearby castle where they are greeted by mad scientist Frank N. Furter, a transsexual alien, his butler Riff Raff, his maid Columbia and Riff Raff’s sister, Magenta.

The musical first appeared March 25, 1975, on Broadway. The film adaptation, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” came out later that year.

Since its debut, the musical has captivated audiences and became a cult phenomenon. Longtime fans know the audience plays an integral role in the show’s success. The audience calls out lines during the show in response to the characters’ script lines. For example, “Elbow sex! Elbow sex!” is a fan favorite to yell out when Riff Raff and Columbia’s elbows touch.

Audiences interact with props such as newspapers, flashlights, playing cards and bells, which allow fans to play an active role in the storytelling.

“The show is a living and breathing character that changes and grows with each audience,” said Nick Hardin, who plays Frank N. Furter. “The audience members become invested in the show as a character — if they choose to participate — and they enjoy being pulled in and participating in the callbacks and banter.”

Studio 35, located on Indianola Avenue, invites “Rocky Horror” fanatics to indulge in the film version on the first and third Saturday of every month.

The show is known for its sex-positive themes with the characters’ playfulness and humorous exploration into the topic.   

“It really is funny that we all share this risque side, but most of us work so hard to hide it,” said production director Edward Carignan. “Brad and Janet make us laugh because we see ourselves in them, but we also see a different, more fun side of ourselves in the alien characters.”

Tickets will be sold until Sunday, Nov. 25. Tickets are $35 each, but students can purchase them for $15 two hours before the show.