Recent graduates gave Ohio State only a fraction of the glory, attributing much of their success and preparation for the job market to practical experience.Upcoming and recent graduates in four different fields said those who start working and career hunting early are more likely to make a smooth school-to-work transition. Christina Peterson, a recent OSU graduate in chemistry, started her career search when she was a sophomore. “The job I got, I found through engineering and career services,” she said. “I started working there three years ago as an intern, and when I graduated they took me on full-time.”Peterson said the best way to edge the competition is to have a broad range of experience, both in the classroom and the workplace.She said, “An employer will say, ‘Oh, you already have the skills that we need,’ so they don’t have to spend time training you.” LaSandra Dent, also a recent OSU graduate, is working in her field but does not credit OSU for getting her there.Dent said she knows that her eight years of work experience in social work is the primary reason she is qualified for her position.Dent, who is an early-childhood social worker, said the OSU social work program is one of the best in the country, but said some aspects of the program need to be improved. She said the social work program would have prepared students better “if it was more culturally sensitive.” She said she had to develop these and other skills on the job.Derek Lampert, another recent OSU graduate, also said OSU does not prepare its students for employment. “I don’t think any of my classes have any barring on my job or anybody’s job. It just helps you learn,” Lampert said.Even though some students gave mixed reviews about OSU’s role in preparing them for the work world, most agree that practical experience gives students an advantage over graduates without it.But not everyone thinks OSU has come up short.Frank Dreischarf, double majoring in operations management and transportation and logistics, will graduate on Aug. 29 and thinks he is ready to become a leader in the corporate industry.”I think OSU does a good job preparing students for what employers are looking for, at least in the business world,” he said. Dreischarf praised professors in the College of Business for maintaining working relationships with companies year around. “For example, the Center for Excellence and Manufacturing has very close ties with local businesses,” Dreischarf said. “You have professors and business leaders working together. This makes for good integration.”