It’s been a good year to be odd. Beck conquered the world with his mix of hip-hop, folk and blues and now a new song is making a run for his title. The song “Dream” has bombarded the video and radio airwaves with a left field mix of bagpipes, sitar and hip-hop beats.The song is the product of Forest for the Trees. In the tradition of nine inch nails being a one-man band, Forest for the Trees is the brainchild of Carl Stephenson.Stephenson was the co-writer and producer of Beck’s “Loser” and co-produced Beck’s album “Mellow Gold.” He was signed to Geffen Records in 1993 and turned in Forest for the Trees’ self-titled debut record. Before the album was released, Stephenson developed signs of mental illness. It was determined that the record was the focus of Stephenson’s illness. Concerned for his health, the label held back the album for four years before it was released in early September.”Dream” is a bit of a Trojan horse. The album is less Spice Girls and more introspective than the single would show. The work is held together with Stephenson’s delicate, almost childlike voice and unusual instrumentation.The most obvious touchstone is Beck, and on the song “Fall” he adds harmonica to the proceedings. Stephenson has the same knack for mixing elements that don’t seem to fix together. Sitars, recordings of people on a roller coaster, and nature samples sit along side programed drumbeats and heavy metal guitar. Lyrically, Stephenson’s lyrics are more poetic and less disjointed than Beck’s. They’re a blend of consciousness and abstract images without bad hippie aftertaste.Musically, the album jumps around the map. “Infinite Cow” mixes robot voices, mooing cows and blues guitar over a shuffling hip-hop beat. “You Create The Reason” is a twin to LaTOUR’s “People Are Still Having Sex,” with its vocal effects and industrial-strength drums. The kicker is “Wet Paint,” it starts out with a bagpipe solo and incorporates a chorus of barnyard animals. Clearly, Stephenson’s not afraid of throwing in the kitchen sink.Highlights of the album include “Planet Unknown,” an up-tempo dance floor stomper that features energetic flamenco guitar. The closing track “Thoughts In My Head” is a sleepy, laid back mantra with an almost R&B feel.Overall, “Forest For The Trees” is an interesting album. Repeated listening bring out the different elements in Stephenson’s musical gumbo. For the listener who is into experimentation, it’s an album to buy.