Cheerful children, brightly painted chairs, African masks, interactive exhibits and works by nationally acclaimed artists fill the halls of the newly renovated Martin Luther King, Jr. Performing and Visual Arts Complex.

A group of concerned people and politicians wanted to honor King and decided to name a street after him, said Bettye Stull, curator of the complex. However, it was decided that the street was not enough and in the mid-1980s, state Senator Ben Espy, then on the city council, introduced a plan for something much larger and longer lasting.

According to Stull, the complex once operated out of the old Pythian Temple, the only historic building in the city of Columbus known to be designed by an African American architect.

The community around the King Arts Complex, located 867 Mt. Vernon Ave, is special because it is on the near east side of Columbus, close to downtown, said Stacy Taylor, marketing assistant for the complex. The neighborhood used to be the metropolis for African Americans.

“The mission of the King Arts Complex is to enrich and improve the quality of life in our community and society, creating enhanced understanding and harmony by preserving, presenting and fostering the contributions of African Americans through creative expression and education,” as quoted from the complex’s information packet.

Jessica Byrd, a freshman at Columbus Alternative, gives tours of the gallery at the complex.

“I think the reason I come here is because everyone is so welcoming,” she said. “I’ve gotten to reach out to others, learn all sorts of experiences and gain confidence.”

Over the years, the King Arts Complex has developed programs, organized summer arts camps, afterschool and Saturday programs, facilitated classes taught by resident artists, housed gallery exhibits and attracted a wide range of performing artists, Stull said.

One of the newer renovations to the complex is the Elijah Pierce Gallery named after an internationally acclaimed book artist, Stull said. The gallery is beginning to have museum quality exhibits.

“The exhibits that are shown must highlight and celebrate those visual and performing artists who have made a significant contribution,” Stull said.

This summer, the exhibit being shown in the gallery is “Elder Grace: The Nobility of Aging” photographed by Chester Higgins. Higgins grew up in Alabama around his grandparents and extended family, Stull said. He wants to bridge the gap between youth and aging and show the grace, dignity and ability of African Americans, she said.

Higgins wanted his models to have white or gray hair, as well as character that could show up in photographs, Stull said. Most of the photographs are a close up of faces against a black background.

The King Arts Complex is hosting a number of events this summer.

The final concert of the JazzFest series, which benefits the complex, will take place on Aug. 11 behind Wendy’s corporate headquarters and features jazz pianist David Benoit. The summer arts camp, for grades 4-12, ends with a final performance, open to the public, on Aug. 12.

In addition, the Columbus Museum of Art and the King Arts Complex with host “A Day with Photographer Chester Higgins Jr. ” on Aug. 18. The lecture and lunch are open to the public.