The Ohio State campus has seen several new athletic facilities pop up in the last few years, but perhaps the nicest site for Buckeye athletic battle has been around for awhile.

The OSU golf courses are a big piece of the college’s history and were designed by one of the top golf course architects of the past century.

For $18 to play the Scarlet course and $14 to play the Gray, students have the privilege to play courses designed by Dr. Alister MacKenzie, who has designed such famous courses as Pebble Beach and Cypress Point in California. MacKenzie also assisted Robert T. Jones, Jr., in designing Augusta National in Georgia.

Former OSU Athletics Director Lynn St. John hired MacKenzie to design the courses in the 1930s. After MacKenzie completed a new course for Michigan in 1932, St. John requested the designer’s presence in Columbus.

St. John once said, “If Michigan builds one new course, we’ll build two.” Rumor has it, that is the only reason two courses were built.

The Scarlet course remains one of the top collegiate courses in the county, according to several golf course rankings published throughout the country.

Many former Buckeyes now playing on the PGA Tour, such as Chris Perry, Gary Nicklaus and Chris Smith, regularly come back to Columbus to play the course.

Former Buckeye and PGA pro Tom Weiskopf has even stated that he considers the Scarlet course one of the best in the world.

In comparison to other college courses, OSU’s is relatively cheap. For example, Purdue University charges students $33 to play their tournament course.

OSU will host the NCAA men’s golf championships this year starting on May 29, and according to assistant manager of the course Jason Bucci, that is quite an honor.

“Not many courses get this opportunity,” Bucci said. “We usually get it here about every five-to-seven years.

“It should be really interesting to watch this year,” he said. “There are a lot of good teams, plus the last three times we’ve hosted the tournament, Oklahoma State has won it.”

Bucci also mentioned some of the new privileges for students.

“In the past, students couldn’t make tee-times,” he said. “Now, students can make one day advanced tee-times on any weekday.

“We’re really going to encourage students to take advantage of this because it will eliminate any sort of wait that they may previously have encountered when trying to play. We’ve also changed it so that students can bring one guest with them when they play,” Bucci said.

Previously, students were only able to bring a spouse or their parents. In addition to bringing a parent or spouse, a student can now bring a friend that does not attend OSU.

“A student could actually bring a foursome to play that consisted of his of her dad, mom, and a friend from home if they wanted,” Bucci said. “We’re trying to get as many students out here as we can.”

Students also have the ability to purchase a membership to the courses for $550. Discounted rates are also available for students to play after 6:00 p.m.

Mike Leesburg, a junior in chemical engineering, said he frequently plays the courses.

“For the price we pay, you can’t find a better golf course,” he said. “The condition it’s kept in, the greens and the atmosphere are all incredible.”

One of Leesburg’s playing partners, Eric Schmidt, also chipped in with praise for the course.

“So many great golfers like Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have played here, that it kind of makes you feel special to play here also.”