After weeks of speculation, the Columbus Crew dismissed coach Greg Andrulis Tuesday morning and named assistant Robert Warzycha interim head coach.

The dismissal comes at the halfway point of the Crew’s season with the team holding a record of 4-10-2. It sits in last place in the Eastern Conference, 10 points behind the final playoff spot, held by the MetroStars. The team has a five-game winless streak and has lost its last three at home.

General Manager Mark McCullers made the announcement Tuesday morning at Crew Stadium.

“On behalf of the Lamar Hunt Family and the entire Columbus Crew ownership group we would like to thank Greg Andrulis for his nine plus years of service to the Crew organization,” McCullers said in a statement. “He is a consummate professional, a gracious gentleman and has been a tremendous ambassador for the Crew. However, at this time, the best interests of the Crew organization are served by a change in coaching leadership.

McCullers said a national and international search for a coach will begin immediately.

Warzycha, 40, has been with the Crew since its inception. A native of Poland, he spent seven years as a midfielder and is the team’s all-time career assist leader with 61. He has been an assistant since retiring after the 2002 season.

Andrulis saw his share of ups and downs with the team. He took over for Tom Fitzgerald during the 2001 season and amassed a career record of 49-43-32 in more than four years of service. He was at the helm when the team won its first and only trophy, the 2002 U.S. Open Cup, and oversaw a league-record 18-game unbeaten streak last season that ended with the Crew receiving the Supporters Shield for having the league’s best record.

However, he has also seen his share of criticism. Last season ended when the Crew was defeated in the first round of the playoffs by New England. The team missed two penalty kicks, and Andrulis’ lineup was heavily criticized. There were concerns about his ability to develop young talent, and fans never seemed to warm to him. After the past two home games, both losses, a small but vocal group of Crew supporters gathered near the locker rooms and voiced its displeasure with him.

Andrulis released a statement through his lawyers.

“Although difficult for me personally and for my family I have much to be thankful for, including the opportunity to work for a first class organization for 10 years and to have apprenticed under the late Tom Fitzgerald, who had the confidence to hire a Division I collegiate coach to the Columbus Crew,” he said.

Warzycha’s first game will come Saturday in Chicago against the Eastern-conference leading Fire. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

A full report from Crew Stadium and Obetz, including player reactions, can be found in Thursday’s copies of The Lantern.