There is something different about the way Elizabeth Lessner does business.

Lessner is co-owner of three Columbus bars, all of which have, in her mind, the same demographic: women.

“I never felt like bars cared about me,” Lessner said, who has ownership interests in Betty’s Fine Food and Spirits, Surly Girl Saloon and Tip Top Kitchen and Cocktails. Her next brainchild, a downtown hot dog shop called Dirty Frank’s Hot Dogs, is scheduled to open in October.

The new restaurant and bar will serve food late nights and its décor will pay homage to the Columbus Clippers, who Lessner calls “hometown heroes.” She said that if the restaurant takes off, she would be interested in building another location near campus.

“Working in restaurants is all I’ve ever done,” Lessner said, who recalled walking around Columbus with friends and talking about what type of restaurant they would open if given the chance.

“Everything felt like a sports bar,” she said, adding that she wanted to give women a place to be safe, let loose and have fun.Of course, wherever women go men will soon follow. Today, Lessner’s clientele is as eclectic as the menus and décor of her unique restaurants.

Her first bar, Betty’s Fine Food and Spirits, opened its doors in 2001. Located at 680 N High St. in the Short North Arts District, the bar takes its namesake from Lessner’s own collection of pin-up art from the 1940s and 50s that grace the walls.

Her next endeavor, Surly Girl Saloon, is popular with Ohio State students. Nestled at 1126 N. High St. in what was once known as the red light district, the bar’s décor pays homage to its reported history as a brothel. Dressed up like a western bordello, the bar features a tin ceiling, dark curtains and ornate chandelier.

Surly Girl, co-owned with Marcy Mays and Carmen Owens, hosts Punk Rock Aerobics every Tuesday, along with live music and comedy nights several times a month.

Even the menu caters to women, highlighting beers that are women-brewed, such as Stoudt’s Gold Lager.

Lessner admitted that her newest restaurant, Tip Top Kitchen and Cocktails, “was a concerted effort to move downtown.” The bar, located at 73 E. Gay St., could easily be considered a Columbus museum. Pictures from the Ohio Historical Society and other Ohio collectors cover every available inch of wall space, and comfort foods that are akin to this region are featured on the menu.

“Columbus has some great history,” she noted.Lessner is trying to contribute to Columbus history in her own ways. Currently, one of her central issues is supporting an initiative to bring streetcars back into the city. “Light rail has gone to vote four times but never gets pushed,” she said.

Last March, the initiative to perform an engineering study for a light rail line began. After the research is completed, City Council will determine whether or not to move forward on the project. The line would travel 2.8 miles up High Street, from Mound Street to OSU campus.

Lessner is keeping her fingers crossed and said that she wholeheartedly supports any improvements that can be made to Columbus transit systems. She believes a light rail line will help businesses along the route by alleviating parking problems.Other philanthropic projects that Lessner stands behind include several green issues. She and many other Columbus business owners are concerned with the lack of recycling being implemented by area businesses. Lessner and her businesses have also been involved in supporting and promoting local community garden efforts to draw attention to local farmers as well as the need for more fresh produce in Columbus’ urban neighborhoods.

“Many new community gardens are providing fresh produce to our under-served neighborhoods,” Lessner said. She and her coworkers have devoted time, energy, effort and money to these green initiatives.

Lessner calls her efforts “social entrepreneurship.” To her, working in a restaurant is an occupation that should be taken just as seriously as any other industry. But there’s a lighter side: Her workers, mostly artists and musicians, are encouraged to participate in an employee talent show in the fall. The name of the show: “Staff Infection.”

Lessner is willing to put her name behind causes that her employees support as well. Brian Deller, an employee at Betty’s, is involved with the Red Bird Books to Prisoners Project, a program that sends educational material and literature to jailed individuals. Lessner put her name behind the project and helped Deller by providing a table for him at events and getting him in contact with other local businesses.

Deller said Lessner is “the first boss I didn’t hate.” He said he enjoys working for a socially progressive, conscientious boss that goes above and beyond to make the workplace feel more like a family.

Lessner also has strong ties to organizations such as Planned Parenthood. Condoms are often available for free at her restaurants, sometimes in place of breath mints with the bill.