The Ohio State men’s soccer team gathers up prior to the start of the game against BGSU. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for Design

The Ohio State men’s soccer team tallied only one goal for the second consecutive game, but ultimately left Happy Valley with a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Penn State.

Redshirt freshman forward Devyn Etling took a pass from redshirt junior midfielder Jake Scheper and snuck one by Penn State redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Josh Levine to put the Buckeyes on the board in the 68th minute. That goal prevented what would have been the fifth time the Buckeyes (1-5-1, 0-1 Big Ten) were shutout in seven games.

However, in a battle of two teams that have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, it was Penn State (2-4-0, 1-0 Big Ten) that found a trio of goals and the victory.

Penn State junior midfielder Aaron Molloy opened the scoring in the 31st minute, and the Nittany Lions struck again five minutes later when senior forward Mac Curran made it 2-0.

The Buckeyes cut the deficit in half following the goal by Etling, but Penn State found an insurance goal in the 80th minute from redshirt junior defender Stephen Kenney.

The Buckeyes applied pressure toward the end of the game, attempting to find the necessary come-from-behind goals, but ultimately their efforts were turned away.

Ohio State is back in action at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, when it hosts Northwestern in the first home game on its Big Ten slate.