Ohio State then-junior midfielder Jack Holland (19) runs the ball down during the second half of the Ohio State-Rutgers game on Sept. 30, 2018. Ohio State lost 3-2. Credit: Cody Mefferd | For the Lantern

Ohio State men’s soccer extended its losing streak to four games Friday.

The Buckeyes (6-8-1,1-4-1 Big Ten) stayed within striking distance but could not defeat defending national champion No. 22 Maryland (9-4-2, 3-1-2), despite both teams equaling each other in shots and shots on goal, falling 2-0 in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

“The game was fairly even,” head coach Brian Maisonneuve said. “Again when you are playing against a good opponent, you gotta make plays. From a shape standpoint, I was happy. From what our game plan was, I was happy. It comes down to making plays.”

Sophomore forward Justin Gielen tucked away an opportunity in the 35th minute to give Maryland a 1-0 lead, which it wouldn’t relinquish. Senior midfielder Eli Crognale recorded an assist on the play.

Ohio State fought to create chances throughout the match, but couldn’t sneak a ball past Maryland freshman goalkeeper Niklas Neumann.

Senior midfielder Jack Holland received a point-blank opportunity in the 39th minute, but failed to beat Neumann with his strike.

Perhaps the Buckeyes’ best chance came in the 21st minute on a beautiful cross by Holland to streaking junior forward Matteo Bennati.

Bennati’s attempt missed to the right.

In total, the Buckeyes took eight shots in the first half, but failed to capitalize on any opportunities.

“Matteo had a good shot in the first half. I had a good shot in the first half,” Holland said. “Little things like that, if we can find ways to bury those, then momentum swings. Overall, I am keeping my head high. I think we played well.”

Set pieces couldn’t jumpstart the Ohio State attack either, with the Buckeyes finishing 0-for-4 on converting corner kicks.

The Terrapins iced the contest in the 84th minute with a goal by freshman midfielder Malcolm Johnston, assisted by junior forward Eric Matzelevich.

The loss makes four straight for the Buckeyes, with a matchup against Indiana looming. After beating Rutgers Friday, the Hoosiers are now No. 1 in the Big Ten.

Ohio State and Indiana kick off at 7 p.m. Tuesday.