BalletMet Columbus will present David Nixon’s version of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” at the Capitol Theatre. Preceding the show will be the world premiere of a dance by choreographer Ma Cong.

“We usually have a really good opening night. There’s a lot of energy. There’s a lot of anticipation,” dancer Emily Ramirez said.

Shakespeare’s romantic comedy reads a little like an episode of MTV’s “Real World”: Lovers Lysander and Hermia are content, but Demetrius loves Hermia, Helena pines after Demetrius and Hermia is supposed to love Demetrius.

Mischievous Sprite Puck mistakes his orders from Oberon, the fairy king, and turns the lovers’ world upside down, but not before making sure that fairy queen Titania falls in love with a donkey-headed human.

“The challenge of any new work is to develop those qualities or ideas which give life to your interpretation [of a well known story],” David Nixon said on the BalletMet Web site.

“It is meant to look really forward, and not very ballerina-ish at times. A lot more pedestrian,” said Ramirez, who will dance the part of Helena. “The way a girl would actually look if she were throwing herself at a guy.”
College students can get $15 student rush tickets at the theater starting two hours prior to show time with valid student ID.

“I took my friends and my sister to see ‘Swan Lake’ and ‘The Nutcracker,’ and now I’m excited to take my mom to “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,'” said Alexandra Galieti, BalletMet developments intern and fourth-year student at Ohio State. “I’ve always loved Shakespeare, so I can’t wait to see how BalletMet performs it. The dancing, costumes and set are going to be beautiful.”

Ramirez believes every performance is a little bit different and looks forward to getting to act a bit more in her role as Helena.

“BalletMet stands out for its diverse repertoire, and I enjoy always kind of changing the mode that I’m moving in and that I‘m thinking in,” she said.

The beginning of the show will feature a 25-member cast performing in choreographer Ma Cong’s powerful dance inspired by love and eastern culture.

“The entire company is used in any given scene, so it’s a lot to look at,” Ramirez said. “For all of us it will be the first time this work is seen. That’s a special feeling to be able to represent a choreographer for the first time.”

The show will run Feb. 5 through 14.

Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling TicketMaster at (800) 982-2787, the Capa ticket office at (614) 469-0930 or visiting BalletMet.org.