Author and Ohio State professor of English Lee Martin will be at the Thurber Center Tuesday to discuss his new book “Break the Skin.”   

The “Evening with Author Lee Martin” starts at 6 p.m. at the Thurber Center. Hors d’oeuvres and refreshments will be served. The reading will start at 7 p.m., followed by a Q&A session.

Martin was inspired to write this book by a news story about a woman who managed to convince three people that a young girl put a hex on them.  

“The purpose of writing the book was to figure out how the woman convinced the people and why they believed that they were truly cursed,” Martin said.

“Break the Skin” is told from the point of view of Laney, a teenager from south eastern Illinois who is longing for acceptance and attention, and Miss Baby, a tattoo artist in Texas who longs to find her true love and move on from her past of being mistreated and used.

The police come to Laney one night to question her and she tells a dishonest story meant to cause vengeance. Her lies, however, ultimately backfire and cause more turmoil in her life. Miles away in Texas, Miss Baby meets a man who seems like he can fulfill her need for love and protection. The only catch is when the strange man comes to town, he cannot recollect his real name or his past.

Little do they know, this mystery man links Laney and Miss Baby in one tragic crime. Through both of their perspectives, the fabrications, denials and manipulation of others slowly unfold to the catastrophic climax.  

“Although I have not read the book I would definitely consider reading it because it seems to lean towards the murder mystery genre, which I like,” said Steve Graver, a second-year chemical engineering major. “Also, I find authors in general intriguing because they view the world in such a creative and different way. It would be cool to hear what Dr. Martin has to say,” he added.  

“I would consider going to the event because I am inspired that a professor from our own community is so successful in his work,” said Carla Luévano, a second-year in psychology.

“I hope that people would welcome the opportunity to experience the oral interpretation of the novel,” Martin said. “If they never have been to a reading before, it is a good chance to see how the written word can be perceived in the oral form and explore the mysteries of being human.”