When I walked into the newly-established hot dog restaurant Weenies, on the corner of High Street and Chittenden Avenue, I must admit my curiosity was aroused to see what a smorgasbord of toppings could do to an ordinary hot dog.

One thing is for sure. The toppings didn’t add the heat.

The exterior of the restaurant is attractive with a maroon and mustard-colored logo. As I entered Weenies, the atmosphere was relaxing and inviting with quaint tables and long, wooden benches for seating. The music was catchy and the television was turned to a common campus channel, ESPN.

I stepped up to the counter to place my order. I appreciate the creative menu for the variety of choices. White or wheat buns, several types of hot dogs and more than 40 toppings ranging from mustard to pineapple salsa were intriguing. The optional sides included french fries, sweet potato fries, chili and onion rings.

I chose to keep it simple, so I ordered a hot dog with ketchup and relish, with a side of sweet potato fries.

As I stood and watched the cooks grill my hot dog, I was a little surprised. I felt some concern when it appeared to me that the temperature of my hot dog was not being checked. Even though hot dogs are technically cooked when refrigerated, according to the United States Department of Agriculture’s website, www.usda.gov, “Although hot dogs are fully cooked, those at increased risk of food-borne illness should reheat hot dogs and luncheon meat until steaming hot before eating, due to the threat of listeriosis.” When I bit into my hot dog, it was cold. My sweet potato fries, however, were amazing. Perfectly hot and crunchy.

For a restaurant that has only been open for a few months, my overall impression is satisfactory. My hope would be that next time the grill would be a little hotter and the hot dog cooked a little longer.

Grade: C+