Ohio State student Rachel Stump was struck by a car on High Street early Sunday morning and was upgraded to serious condition from critical condition at the Wexner Medical Center at OSU Monday just after 11 a.m.

According to Stump’s Twitter account, @Rachel_Stump, she had lived on campus less than a week. She moved in on Thursday, when OSU’s Orientation Welcome Leaders, a group that helps students move into their dorms, moved to campus.

Jim Lynch, university spokesman, said in an email that Stump is a transfer student from Troy, Ohio, studying marketing.

“We are saddened to hear of the accident involving a new member of our Buckeye family,” Lynch said in an email.

Lynch said President E. Gordon Gee visited Stump Sunday in the hospital.

Spokesmen at the Wexner Medical Center confirmed that she was in the surgical intensive care unit Sunday night and that she was in critical condition at about 12:10 a.m. Monday.

Riley Isley, a first-year in biochemistry and long-time friend of Stump’s, visited Stump Sunday and recounted when she first heard of the incident.

“When I originally heard the news this morning it sounded bad and we really didn’t think that she was going to make it but now there’s a lot of hope,” Isley said. “We’ve been planning on coming to Ohio State together and we were just going to take on the city together, so it’s kind of weird now to be here without her.”

OSU Police Chief Paul Denton said Columbus Police responded early Sunday morning. While Denton could not comment on Stumps condition, he did confirm the incident occurred on High Street.

Columbus Police also could give no information on the incident, saying a report would be available at the station downtown at 8 a.m. Monday.

Stump was a member of the Troy High School honor roll during the first marking period of her senior year, according to the Troy Daily News. She was also a varsity football cheerleader.

Stump’s friends, acquaintances and even those who have never met her have taken to social media to spread their prayers and support.

“We have a big group of friends that’s going to keep praying and our entire hometown is praying,” Isley said. “It feels good to have such a big support system behind her.”

The hashtag #PrayForRachel has swept through Twitter and Instagram, a picture sharing site. There were more than 140 hits for the hashtag on Instagram by 10 p.m. Sunday.

The incident happened just hours before thousands of OSU’s freshmen moved to campus.

Katie Higgins and Sarah Pfledderer contributed to this report