State building inspectors are scheduled to visit Ohio State’s Park-Stradley residence hall Wednesday to help determine if students can safely return to their rooms.
Park-Stradley residents were still without a home Tuesday evening, two days after a building evacuation due to a water main break.
About 2,000 total students were evacuated, including residents in Baker Halls, who were permitted to return to their rooms Monday at 7 a.m.
The Ohio Union was also evacuated Sunday night, but reopened Monday at 7 a.m.
Park-Stradley residents were allowed to return to their residence hall Monday, but only briefly to retrieve personal items, and according to a Monday morning email to faculty from Joseph Alutto, OSU executive vice president and provost, students were encouraged to bring enough clothes for at least two days.
University officials have not yet announced when those 1,200 students will be allowed back in their dorms.
A Tuesday email from Jim Lynch, OSU spokesman, said the university is working on clearing up the problem.
“Crews have been working to address water damage underground in the mechanical rooms to restore electricity to Park-Stradley Hall,” he said. “State building inspectors are scheduled to visit the residence hall on Wednesday as the university fulfills all of the required steps to return the students back to their rooms safely.”
Students were initially evacuated to the RPAC for the night Sunday, where Lynch said between 150 and 200 students spent the night.
Others have found accommodations elsewhere with friends or family, and Lynch said as of Tuesday afternoon 37 students who had requested housing through the Office of Student Life had been accommodated.
Lynch said the university will have more information available Wednesday afternoon.