The lead vocalist and producer of Black Moth Super Rainbow didn’t like music as a kid. He didn’t even pay attention to it until high school.

“I didn’t have any real musical inspirations. I was more interested in making what I wanted, making what I wasn’t hearing,” said Thomas Fec, whose stage name is Tobacco. “I wanted to fill a void in music that was missing. That was the reason I’m even a musician.”

Black Moth Super Rainbow is scheduled to perform 9 p.m. Friday at Skully’s Music-Diner.

The gig is part of the experimental band’s fall tour in support of its latest album “Cobra Juicy,” which released in October. The show will mark the Pittsburgh band’s return to Columbus, where it played its first out-of-state show in 2004.

Fec said with this new album, the band sought to put out a fresher sound to push the “reset button” on the band’s career.

“When I’m creating music, I don’t have a pattern of how to create music,” Fec said. “I feel the creation of music needs to be different every single time. Otherwise, you can get bored easily.”

When he began making music, Fec said he received a lot of negativity from peers who said he was going the wrong way in his music career.

“I just always stuck to my guns. I can remember everybody telling me I was doing it all wrong musically and then it shifted from I was doing it wrong to, ‘Your style won’t last long,’ when I started gaining some success,” Fec said. “At the end of the day no one else is you. If you have a greater vision then you shouldn’t change for no one.”

Fec credited the longevity of his career to his attempts to be musically irreplaceable to his fans.

“I think Black Moth Super Rainbow marries pop and experimental music in a unique way and manages to buck current musical trends to achieve a sound completely their own,” said Patrick Tilley, the tour’s press publicist. “There really are no other bands doing what they’re doing right now.”

When it comes to lyrics, Fec said he hopes to connect to people through a more primal feeling, without having his fans have to think much about a message.

Ben Hamilton, a concert promoter for Benco Presents, said the band’s music is great to listen to under the influence of drugs, or while having sex.

“Black Moth Super Rainbow does a lot of very cool things,” Hamilton said.

Skully’s Music-Diner is located at 1151 N. High St. Tickets are $13 in advance through TicketWeb and $15 the day of the show.