Some Ohio State graduate students are hanging up their lab coats in favor of formal wear this Valentine’s Day.
The Ohio Union Activities Board Graduate and Professional Programming Committee plans to present a night filled with food, music and potential fond memories with its Valentine’s Ball on Feb. 14.
OSU’s Recreational Sports programmers initially conceived the Valentine’s Ball last year, but OUAB overtook planning responsibilities.
“Recreational Sports came to us last year looking to do something a little different from what they normally do … and they thought that a Valentine’s Ball would be a great opportunity for (graduate students) to mingle,” said Kerry Hodak, chairwoman of the OUAB Graduate and Professional Programming Committee and graduate student in political science. “So they asked us to partner.”
OUAB eventually took complete control of the event after both parties realized it would be more of a social event than one related to physical activity, Hodak said.
More than 200 graduate students attended the Valentine’s Ball last year, crowding the Ohio Union Performance Hall, Hodak said. Because of the large expected attendance, this year’s ball will be held in the Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom East at the Ohio Union, which can accommodate more people.
The Ballroom has a capacity of 740 guests while the Performance Hall only holds 340.
The event will feature a three-course meal with salad, chicken marsala and a dessert. There is also expected to be a vegetarian portobello mushroom napoleon option.
The ball will also feature a bar, but two Valentine-themed non-alcoholic drinks will be available.
Hodak declined to comment on the event’s budget.
James Baginski, a graduate student in geography, attended last year and said he will “absolutely” be going again.
“I think (the ball) is a fantastic change of pace, because I don’t think that graduate students get many chances to do what amounts to, almost, a prom-like activity,” Baginski said. “I think it’s great.”
OSU law student Chris Connell said although he is familiar with the event, he will not be attending.
“The Moritz College of Law puts on its own prom for law students,” he said, which is known as the Barrister’s Ball and is scheduled to be held on Saturday and Sunday. “So I’ll be going to that.”
Hodak said the committee is aiming to sell at least 200 tickets again and is hoping it will become an annual event.
Tickets for the Valentine’s Ball are $10 for graduate and professional students, $15 for faculty and staff and will be on sale through 5 p.m. Monday.
Doors to the event are expected to open at 6:30 p.m. with dinner being served at 7 p.m.