Neil Flynn (left), Sarah Chalke and Zach Braff at the ‘Scrubs’ complete first season DVD launch party in New York in 2005. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Neil Flynn (left), Sarah Chalke and Zach Braff at the ‘Scrubs’ complete first season DVD launch party in New York in 2005.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Dr. John Dorian once said, “The easiest way to lose something is to want it too badly.”

If that’s true, I might have to calm down as I wait anxiously for the 2000s television series “Scrubs” to be brought to Broadway sometime roughly in the next three years, because this is not something I want to lose.

According to a recent “Entertainment Weekly” interview with Bill Lawrence, creator of the iconic show, after licensing for the show is in order, a musical will be in the works.

I had never thought about it before, but a musical is probably the perfect setting for a “Scrubs” revival — from Ted’s a cappella group to the episode “My Musical,” singing and whimsical acting were often present in the show and made it popular to casual viewers and Netflix-binging addicts such as myself.

I was a little bummed, however, to learn most of the original actors won’t be coming back to star in the production. Given Zach Braff’s recent Broadway experience in “Bullets Over Broadway,” I think he would be delightful as J.D., but alas, he’s only involved in the creative process, Lawrence said. However, seeing as Braff has written two movies and a play — “Garden State,” “Wish I Was Here” and “All New People” respectively — I am extremely excited to see what he can bring to the table.

The only actors who have the potential to come back to reprise their roles on Broadway are Ted, played by Sam Lloyd, and his a cappella group, Lawrence said.

He is looking to use them as a kind of Greek chorus singing onstage as people enter the theater. As a huge Ted fan, this alone would be enough to get me to see the show.

As for the structure of the musical, Lawrence said it’s supposed to center around the pilot episode and Season 4’s “My First Kill,” with great moments from the series interspersed throughout.

Lawrence confirmed that the musical would make use of J.D.’s fantasies, a staple part of the television series. I’m not sure how they’re going to swing that, but I’m really intrigued to see how it works out. The quirky fantasies were always the most ridiculous and creative parts of the show as far as writing and visual aspects were concerned, so I think they could really bring out some of the most comical moments of the musical.

And for anyone out there who isn’t a huge “Scrubs” fan, the outlook is still favorable. With the plot partially based on the pilot episode, it should be relatively easy for a newcomer to pick up the basic gist of the show. Lawrence said he and his staff are hoping to please everyone who sees the musical, regardless of how familiar they are.

The “Scrubs” musical is no doubt going to be the comedic hit of Broadway in 2017, or whenever it comes to fruition (hopefully sooner rather than later). Utilizing the talents of Braff in the creative process, it is sure to please lifelong “Scrubs” fans and those new to the series. While it seems a long way off, at least that gives people more time to watch the series in its entirety again (and again, and again) on Netflix.