Home » A+E » Chance The Rapper to perform at LC Pavilion for Ohio State students

Chance The Rapper to perform at LC Pavilion for Ohio State students

Chance The Rapper performs during 2014 Lollapalooza on Aug. 3 at Grant Park in Chicago. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Chance The Rapper performs during 2014 Lollapalooza on Aug. 3 at Grant Park in Chicago.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

An up-and-coming rapper is set to make his popular mixtape come to life close to campus.

Chance The Rapper’s booking agency, CAA Touring, confirmed Tuesday morning that he is set to perform for Ohio State students at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion — a PromoWest Productions venue — on Oct. 27 with doors set to open at 8 p.m.

Chance The Rapper, whose real name is Chancelor Bennett, is a Chicago-born hip-hop artist. His breakout 2013 mixtape “Acid Rap” included rapper Childish Gambino, the rap alias of Donald Glover, and he was also featured in Justin Bieber’s single “Confident.” Jeff Weiss of Pitchfork.com — who rated “Acid Rap” with an 8.4 out of 10 and branded it “Best New Music” ­— said in the mixtape’s review that although the rapper is barely out of his teenage years, he “has already transformed himself from a suspended high school student to the young Chicago rapper universally adored.”

“Chance The Rapper was selected due to his recent success and growing popularity amongst the college community,” Matt Chimes, the concerts chair for OUAB, said in a statement sent to The Lantern by another OUAB member. “He performed on the closing night of Lollapalooza 2014, which had rave reviews and is currently touring around the nation.”

The rapper is currently in the middle of his Verge Campus Fall Tour, which has him scheduled to perform at more than 15 college campuses around the United States. The last date of the tour is listed as Oct. 26 at West Virginia University.

Jack Paulsen, a first-year in mechanical engineering, expressed excitement for the rapper’s performance near campus.

“I’m a big fan of Chance — I think it will be a pretty good concert,” he said.

Alexis Degler said she doesn’t listen to rap music, but she might attend the show anyway.

“Will I go see Chance the Rapper for free with my friends? Yes. Would I have paid to go see him? Probably not,” the second-year in communication said.

Angela Lawver, a third-year in chemical engineering, echoed Degler’s sentiment.

“It sounds really exciting. I’m not a huge fan of rap in general, but free concerts are always fun,” Lawver said. “I’d probably rather listen to something else — maybe a pop artist … So far we’ve had a lot of rap and indie music come, so it would be nice to hear something new.”

The concert is sponsored by the Ohio Union Activities Board, and OUAB confirmed the performance Tuesday afternoon via its Twitter account, @OUAB.

Tickets for the concert are set to be released at 5 p.m. on Wednesday in the West Ballroom at the Ohio Union.

Clayton Eberly and Alyssa Gordon contributed to this article.

1. I have been following Chance for quite some time now, and he is one of the most unique and talented artists I’ve ever listened to. This past Summer I had the privilege to see him live at Bonnaroo and he was by far the most electric and likable performer I have ever seen. That being said, I get really frustrated when I see comments like “I’ll go see it for free, but I don’t really enjoy this type of music.” To be frank, it is students like Alexis and Angela that completely ruin these concerts. Chance thrives on the energy of his fans, so please, if you aren’t gonna be vibing to his set and really just wish that you would be seeing a top 40 pop artist, STAY HOME. Granted, Chance’s set (especially with his supporting jazz/soul band “The Social Experiment”) is absolutely incredible and can make just about anyone an instant fan. This is not your stereotypical Juicy J or 2Chainz show, so if you’re not a fan of rap but are a fan of good music, go see Chance because you will have a blast.

• I totally agree. I’m a mother of a die-hard Chance fan and I don’t normally listen to that hippity hoppity music lol. I try to listen to everything my daughter listens to and I really like Chance’s style. Kudos to him!

2. I’d rather get a root canal than to listen to this rubbish. Why, oh, why is my money going to this deadbeat?

3. If you’re only gonna go to the concert because it’s free but you don’t even enjoy the type of music, please just save the tickets for people that do. Thanks.

4. Great, let’s spend the student activity fund to pay a homophobe to perform at OSU.

5. Where can you get these tickets If you dot go to osu