The Gateway Film Center is one of the theaters in central Ohio that is planning to screen 'The Interview.' Credit: Lantern file photo

The Gateway Film Center is one of the theaters in central Ohio that is planning to screen ‘The Interview.’
Credit: Lantern file photo

Gateway Film Center and the Grandview Theatre are set to screen “The Interview” — a film that was recently pulled by Sony Pictures because of threats of violence if the film were screened — to central Ohio.

The Gateway Film Center is slated to start screening “The Interview” on Christmas Day at 8 p.m. and will run through Sunday.

“As an independent theater, we’ve built our reputation on bringing movies to audiences who wouldn’t normally see them,” Johnny DiLoretto, director of communications for the Gateway Film Center, said in an email.

“Bringing ‘The Interview’ to Columbus when others wouldn’t is perfectly aligned with our mission.”

More showings might be scheduled depending on the turnout of the movie, DiLoretto said.

“If it performs really well and there’s an appetite for it, we may add more screenings,” said DiLoretto. “As of right now, we’re only planning on showing the film once a night at 8 p.m. from Christmas Day through the 28th.”

This decision is a complete reversal from Sony’s original pulling of the film under the demands made by the Guardians of Peace, a group of hackers who threatened any theater that planned to show the film.

According to the FBI, North Korea is affiliated with this group, sparking international controversy because the film’s subject matter — starring James Franco and Seth Rogen — involves a fictional assassination plot against North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

President Barack Obama, who originally criticized Sony’s canceling of the movie, now praises the company’s decision to release it and stand for freedom of speech.

James Franco (left) and Seth Rogen in a scene from 'The Interview.'  Credit: Courtesy of TNS

James Franco (left) and Seth Rogen in a scene from ‘The Interview.’
Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Sony is trying to redistribute the film to as many theaters as possible with a limited theatrical release Christmas Day, and they company is also looking into releasing it through more digital means, such as streaming and video on-demand.

The Grandview Theatre — located at 1247 Grandview Ave. — is set to have its first showing at 2:05 p.m. Christmas Day. New Year’s Day is the last scheduled day for “The Interview” at the Grandview, which has a total of 30 showings planned.

Phone calls made Tuesday evening to the Grandview Theatre were not returned as of Wednesday morning.