Baseball team loses twice down south

It was a weekend of comebacks for the Ohio State baseball team as they played three games against the University of South Florida. On Sunday, OSU was up 3-2 before Mike Gload of USF hit a three run homer to put the 14th ranked Bulls up for good in the 7-6 OSU loss. Trailing 7-4 in the ninth inning, OSU managed to garnish two runs off one hit, one error and two walks.Ohio State’s Mark Carek, a shortstop from Bowling Green, Ohio, was the tying run on third base before being picked off by South Florida’s catcher to end the game.Saturday was no different. South Florida came back from a 7-1 deficit scoring 12 unanswered runs to win 13-7. The Buckeyes scored five unearned runs in the second inning to take a 5-1 lead. OSU added two in the fourth before they let down their guard in the sixth inning. Starter Eric Thompson of Fairborn, Ohio, allowed five runs and six hits including two home runs. The Bulls put it out of reach in the eighth by adding six more runs.In the first game of the series, Ohio State dug themselves out of a 5-0 hole to defeat South Florida 8-6.Two cagers honoredTwo Ohio State basketball players received All-Big Ten honors for their play this season.Guard Damon Stringer, a sophomore from University Heights was voted on the Big Ten third-team.Shaun Stonerook, a sophomore from Westerville, made honorable mention honors.Stringer was the leading scorer for OSU this season averaging 15.1 points per game.Stonerook was third on the team in scoring with a 11.6 points per game average, Stonerook also led the Buckeyes in rebounding, averaging 7.7 per game.Icers win awardsThe OSU hockey team had three players receive votes for All-CCHA honors.Defenders Pierre Dufour, a senior from Bedford, Quebec, and Ryan Root, from Pueblo, Colo., received votes. Forward Chad Power, from Corner Brook, Newfoundland, also garnered votes for the CCHA team.No Buckeye made the first or second-team in the conference.Fencer wins epeeOn Saturday, the men’s and women’s fencing teams traveled to Detroit to compete in the Midwest Regional Fencing Championships.Doug Findlay of Ohio State placed fourth in the men’s foil. OSU’s Brian Hamilton and Beau Schultz finished eighth and eleventh, respectively.In the men’s epee, Jeff Carlino of Ohio State finished eighth. The men’s sabre produced three top ten finishes. Tim Bookwater finished fourth, Aaron Smith finished fifth, and John Lin placed seventh.In the women’s competition, Monica Scherman placed first in the women’s epee. Spela Pirc finished sixth while Michelle Santocildes placed eighth.The women’s foil was the most productive of the weekend. Patricia Szelle took first place while Yelena Kalkina of Ohio State placed third.Tennis team rollsThe Ohio State men’s tennis team took on DePaul University over the weekend at the Racquet Club of Columbus. OSU took all six singles matches as two of three doubles matches. The team won 62 games and lost 31 in singles play. In doubles, the team won 24 games, losing 12.The Buckeyes take on Michigan State on Friday in East Lansing, Mich.

Sports Brief was compiled by Douglas Huber