Is there any place, any event, any person who can bring today’s youth together for one common goal, one purpose?The answer, as strange as it may seem, is Beck.Saturday night, at the University of Akron James A. Rhodes Center, Beck was the main attraction and fun was the goal.Never before have I seen a more diverse crowd of people at a concert. Yet it really isn’t a surprise once you realize how diverse Beck’s music is.Beck, one helluva break dancer, combines blue grass, country, folk, rap, rock n’ roll and whatever else he can find to bring his crowd a guaranteed good time.For just $15, you can journey to a 1970s disco, a campfire and a rodeo without ever having to leave your place.One thing you cannot do is sit still. It’s impossible. You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to find something appealing about Beck’s unique style and ability.Beck, who has the talent to record entire albums by himself, brought help with him on his tour. Beck’s on-stage friends included a bassist, rhythm guitarist, clarinet player, drummer, keyboardist, DJ and two guys in suits who just dance really cool.Beck, meanwhile, was busy doing the singing, rapping, chanting, dancing, lead guitars and harmonica playing.To everyone wise enough to attend this year’s local Beck concert, he proved that he is truly a legitimate star, worthy of his fame and fortune. Whether he was playing the fast-paced favorites; “Devil’s Haircut,” “Where It’s At,” or the slower acoustic ballads; “Pay No Mind,” “Fume,” “One Foot in the Grave,” you could not help but be mesmerized by his charisma.Talking with the crowd and dedicating songs to dead friends like the late Allen Ginsberg made everyone feel like the show was personal and not just another date and time where Beck was obligated to appear.With so many types of bands and types of music, you sometimes get confused who really deserves the recognition and who doesn’t.One concert where Beck is the main event and you might be changing your mind about buying the Spice Girls album.Also playing with Beck was Atari Teenage Riot, a band that only heard cheers as they left the stage, and the Hooch Crew, a hip-hop group with unusual musicians but a not-so-unusual-sounding lead singer.In short, missing the opportunity to enjoy Beck would be like missing the opportunity to catch a ride on a spaceship that is coming behind the next comet.