Following in the footsteps of Scrawl and Howlin’ Maggie, Big Back Forty is the latest Columbus band to jump in bed with a major label. The quartet has recently released their debut album “Bested” on Polydor Records.The album “Bested” features Sean Beal, lead vocals, guitars and chief lyricist, Barry Hensley, guitar, pedal steel and vocals, Steve McGann, bass and Pat McGann on drums.Big Back Forty was formed in 1995 by Beal, Hensley and Steve McGann. McGann’s brother Pat joined the band in early ’96. According to Hensley the band had been playing for a few months when they were approached by their label. “The people from the label were interested in Sean’s last band Train Meets Truck, who by that point were no longer playing together. They checked out Big Back Forty and liked what they heard,” Hensley said.The first appearance under the Polydor label was a self-titled six song EP which was released last summer to sell at shows. It was a selection of demos that the band recorded for Polydor. The label then signed the band on the strength of the demos. A year later “Bested” has found its way into stores.The album is 13 songs deep with a heavy country influence. What makes the album interesting is that while the influences are apparent they don’t seem to be planned or overpowering. It’s possible to hate country and still like this album.According to Hensley it was never a conscious decision on the band’s sound. “We just liked the combination of the instruments. It was never ‘Let’s make this song sound more country’. When I played the pedal steel I played it because I thought it would fit into the song. It was more a matter of adding texture than trying to create a country mood.”The album kicks off with the song “Blood.” For the first portion of the song Beal’s voice suggests a less humorous version of the singer from Crash Test Dummies. The lyrics are either a parable about boxing with God or can be read as what happens in a relationship. Either way the band lays a solid backbeat that makes the song work its way into your subconscious.”Blood” is just one of the few times that the Lord is summoned on the record. The most interesting allusion comes in the song “Little Crucifier.” The lyrics compare a failing relationship to Jesus’ crucifixion. While that may sound like a stretch the first lyrics of the song are “Never thought that you would send me ‘Draggin’ lumber up a stony hill after all that we’ve been through.” Guaranteed to become a breakup song staple. The album showcases the tight playing ability of the band which was honed through months of touring. “On tour not too many people were aware of who we were. But it served a couple of purposes. We were able to tighten up the songs and just practice being on tour,” said Hensley. “We took 16 songs with us into the studio and ended up with 13. The label has been good about working with us. They wanted a couple of the songs to go earlier on the album. They’ll be the possible singles. Other than that they’ve given us a lot of space.”The album overall is solid from beginning to end. “Just What I Need” is a slower number that highlights the interplay of Beal and Hensley’s voices with a tasteful pedal steel accompaniment. Meanwhile the McGann brothers lay a subtle backdrop. The best moment of the album is the back to back placement of “Party Girl” and “Big Man.” The songs are slightly different from the rest of the album in that they have more of a traditional country feel. “Big Man” sounds as if it was an outtake from the latest Johnny Cash album. The band cuts loose with harmonica solos, rock steady drumming and pedal steel solos. Big Back Forty has a good deal of local support. Dan Dougan, owner of Little Brothers (formerly Stache’s) had the band play a number of time at Stache’s. “They’ve done pretty well for some time. It’s a good time to be in a band like theirs. That kind of roots/Americana sound is becoming more popular. Besides, Sean’s a good songwriter. They’ve had some personnel changes but that shouldn’t slow them down,” Dougan said.On August 2nd the band will play its first Columbus show since the release of “Bested.” The August 2nd show is also the local debut of the band after the departure of the McGann brothers. It was an amicable separation according to Hensley “It came down to different thresholds as far as the commitment in touring. I have tremendous amount of respect for both of the brothers. They’re great musicians and I hear that they’re working on some new music. I wish them well.”The Brothers were replaced by Dan Cochran on bass and Mark Boquist on drums. Dan was a member of former local band Feversmile.So fans of Big Back Forty will have the chance to see the new boys on August 2nd at Little Brothers. The Haynes Boys and Volebolts are the support bands.