A $100,000 observation pavilion and plans for a $2.8 million wetland research facility will be unveiled at Ohio State’s wetland park from 2 to 4 p.m. today, by President William “Brit” Kirwan.The Sandefur Wetland Pavilion at the Olentangy River Wetland Research Park, 352 Dodridge St., overlooks OSU’s 12 acres of wetlands, said William J. Mitsch, director of the park. The wetlands at OSU are the only on-campus experimental wetlands in the country, he said.The purpose of the pavilion is to provide a public facility for viewing the wetlands and the wildlife that visit it, Mitsch said.The two-story observation pavilion has wheelchair access to the second floor with informational displays along the ramp describing the wetlands and the research being done there.”We are attempting to construct wetlands from scratch that mimic the behavior of natural ones,” Mitsch said. The OSU wetlands receive water from the Olentangy River, purify it, and then return it to the river, he said.Research at the park is enhancing our knowledge of the role wetlands play in repairing and maintaining the environment, he said.Mitsch said that students and faculty in fields ranging from mathematics and engineering to agricultural and biological sciences perform experiments and gather research at the wetlands. “The elevated view the pavilion provides is helpful for educational and observational purposes,” said Robert E. Roth, associate director of the OSU School of Natural Resources. “It’s a big step in optimizing the utility of the site.”The pavilion will be open to the public daily from dawn to dusk and will also be included in wetland tours held throughout the year, Mitsch said.Visitors can also reach the wetland park from the nature trail that runs between Tuttle Park on 240 W. Oakland Ave. and Antrim Park in Worthington.OSU alumni John and Tana Sandefur, from Longboat Key, Fla., donated $80,000 to the production of the pavilion, which covered the cost of the building supplies and construction.The Maddox NBD architectural firm from Dublin, Ohio donated a further $20,000 in architectural design fees.Student and faculty volunteers painted the pavilion and installed a brick sidewalk, Mitsch said.Matt Cochran, a graduate student in the OSU School of Natural Resources, finds the pavilion very useful in his work.”It works well for observing the wildlife and the (wetland) basins. In the summer, the vegetation is so tall, that you can’t see the water. The only way for people to see it is from the pavilion,” Cochran said.Plans for a $2.8 million on-site wetland research facility will also be displayed at the dedication.OSU received $1 million toward the construction of the facility from the Ohio Board of Regents, in the form of the Hayes Investment Fund, he said.OSU secured the fund by forming a consortium with Wright State University, Youngstown State University, Shawnee State University and Kenyon College, Mitsch said.That means OSU gets the $1 million to help fund the facility on campus by allowing individuals from the other four schools to visit the facility and conduct research and experiments, he said.The building will allow students, faculty and other scientists from around the world to monitor the wetlands and perform experiments using the latest technology without leaving the park, he said.”With the construction of this facility, it’s very likely we will be the top-ranked wetland research university in the country, and a leader in wetland research around the world,” Mitsch said.Information on the wetlands, tours and upcoming projects at the park can be found on the Internet at swamp.ag.ohio-state.edu.