Are you tired of all the depressing music out there that’s getting you down? For a refreshing blast of energy, check out local dance band the Decals.

The Decals musical talent shines through in tunes that include R & B classic rhythms to energetic ska, but the group’s sound is not easily classified.

“What makes us different from all the other bands out there is that there really isn’t another band around here that sounds like us,” said Kevin Johnson, the Decals founder and lead guitarist.

The band evolved from playing traditional ska to a musical melting pot after Johnson met Michael O’Herron, the band’s trumpet player at Ohio State. After several changes in the lineup, the band now consists of Johnson, O’Herron, Myke Rock (bass), Michael Strait (vocals), Jake Wood (drums) and Susan Bunsold (trombone).

This novel cross-section of horns, percussion, keyboards and three-part harmonies have fans flocking to their live shows locally and nationally.

“We have had a pretty good response,” said Rock. “Some of our favorite gigs have been in Indianapolis and Flappers in Mt. Vernon.”

Johnson and Rock said although there are no typical traits that all Decals fans share, most fans share a certain appreciation for their style.

“Most fans are intellectual and well-spoken,” said Johnson. “A lot are lovers of eclectic music.”

The Decals sound can certainly be described as eclectic, including the members diverse musical influences.

“Our influences include Aerosmith, Fishbone, ’70s punk and ’80s new wave,” Johnson said. “Multiculturalism definitely comes out in our sound.”

Although the group has an extensive list of popular songs they cover including Smokey Robinson’s “Walk Away” and Boy George’s hit “Karma Chameleon”, the group is expanding its arsenal of original tunes. Rock believes the group’s approach to songwriting is different from most artists.

“The process works different for each song,” he said. “Sometimes one of us will come up with a groove, other times with a melody, but we don’t force a song.”

Although band members enjoy artists who convey messages in an angry manner, positivity and energy surround each tune the Decals play.

“There is a need for music to reflect some of the good things going on now,” Rock said. “We need to make it a bigger voice.”

Johnson said the group hopes to possibly acquire its own studio to produce more music and have greater access to recording equipment.

“We would like to build up our capital and business as well as our fanbase,” he said.

Due to high demand from fans at live shows, the group has gone from selling albums that include only a few tracks to working on a full album, which should be completed soon.

“We would love to get picked up by a label,” Johnson said.

The Decals will be playing with Dream Merchant and Spectre at Bernie’s Distillery tonight. The show begins at 9:30 p.m. with a $4 cover at the door.