Undergraduate Student Government presidential candidates met to debate several issues at Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity house yesterday evening.

Candidates Jarrod Weiss, Aftab Pureval, Ryan Jolley and Elizabeth Ghandakly took three questions prepared by the greek community before answering questions from the audience.

When asked how the candidates plan to use their platform to help greek life, they each discussed the importance of increasing communication, uniting students from all walks of life, dispelling typical greek sterotypes and bringing USG and greek organizations together to work toward a common goal.

“Cooperation between USG and the greek community will create a big force in order to dispel stereotypes,” Ghandakly said.

On the issue of strengthening ties between USG and greek organizations, the candidates shared similar views. Each candidate agreed that USG should not sponsor events for greek chapters, but instead should help the leaders of the organizations.

Pureval said he has already developed concrete ideas designed to strengthen these relationships, including recycling wars between chapters, increased off-campus safety through the construction of a police sub-station at 15th Avenue and High Street and bringing members of the greek community into residence halls to educate underclassmen on the positive aspects of greek life.

Weiss, however, said he believes that USG should take their initiative from the wants and needs as expressed by greeks, instead of devising plans for activities without their input.

The third question addressed the ever-expanding construction on campus and raised the topic of whether the administration is too focused on the student body of the future, instead of listening to students who are here today.

As a student who lives on West Campus, Ghandakly knows the frustration of trying to get to Mirror Lake Cafe without taking a 20-minute detour around fences. She said students need to be informed of construction with ample time to prepare different routes to classes and other locations.

Jolley again cited the breakdown of communication in relation to students’ hostility surrounding construction on campus.

“Everyone did a poor job of communicating why construction was being done,” Jolley said. He said USG should facilitate more meetings between members of the administration and students, as well as create more publicity through Web sites and The Lantern to address issues on campus before they become problematic.

While Pureval used construction to demonstrate the university’s failure to prioritize current students, Weiss emphasized the importance of creating a balance between current needs and leaving a legacy for future Buckeyes.

A question from the audience regarding USG’s relationship with the Statehouse quickly turned into a debate concerning USG’s role in lowering tuition.

“To work with the State of Ohio, we need a working business relationship, not a combative one,” Weiss said.

He said while it is virtually impossible to lower tuition within one year, developing an understanding with state leadership will make affordable higher education a priority.

Pureval described Weiss’ attitude toward lower tuition as “defeatist.” He believes that together, students have the power to create change. Pureval cited his plans for a Buckeye Advocate program, which would allow students to make their views known to state representatives.

Jolley believes his experience working with government officials and lobbying to educate legislators gives him a competitive edge in building bridges with the Statehouse. Like Ghandakly, he said it is the responsibility of students to influence legislation through educated voting.

One of the last questions taken from the audience asked the candidates to state both the causes of low minority retention rates and what actions the candidate plans to undertake to raise retention numbers, if elected.

“Diversity is not a number; it’s people,” Jolley said.

He said educating people on diversity issues is a good way for the university to retain minority students.

Weiss reiterated his position of listening before planning.

“USG needs to be a model of diversity,” Weiss said. “Tell us what you want, and we will work with you to make it happen.”

In their final statements, each candidate focused on students as the primary issue and their ability to empower themselves through voting. They made the point that students on campus do care about the issues and have the power to make change.