The Drexel Theatre is known to bring in movies and screenings not shown at the typical movie theater. Today at 8 p.m., it will show a screening of the “This Is Not a Show: Live at the Olympia,” a documentary made around the R.E.M. “un-concert” that took place at the Olympia in Dublin, Ireland.

Drexel owner Jeff Frank said Columbus will be one of about 20 cities showing the documentary.

“R.E.M. is certainly one of the major Indie [rock] bands that came up in the 1990s,” Frank said. “It’s something I decided to show because it’s a one time thing.”

The documentary will be shown for one night only in certain areas across the United States, with show dates varying based on the theater.

“It gives the viewer a chance to see R.E.M. behind the scenes,” Frank said.

According to the press release, the documentary features selections from a five night “working rehearsal” in Dublin. The event was, as the title implies, “Not a show,” but an organic exploration of their sound in front of a live audience. The recording brings the highlights of the exclusive event to exclusive theaters at an exclusive time. It’s a unique experience for fans of the band who couldn’t be physically there “Live at the Olympia.”

The documentary is 60 minutes long and premiered in September at the Sound Unseen festival in Minneapolis. It contains songs, both new and old, from R.E.M.’s 29-year career.

R.E.M. was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007 and at one time was the highest paid rock band in history. They signed with Warner Bros. Records for $80 million dollars in 1996.

A one-day screening of a movie is not typical for movie theaters and Frank said the Drexel is always trying to do something different.

“As a movie theater we are trying to do more than show feature films,” Frank said.

The Drexel presented “The Room” last weekend, a poorly rated movie that premiered in 2003.

“The Room” has developed into somewhat of a cult film, gaining popularity across the nation.

It will continue to be shown at the Drexel Friday and Saturday at midnight, and Sunday at 8:00 p.m. Future showings will be based on attendance on a weekly basis.

Tickets are available in advance for all movies at drexel.net or by phone at (614) 231-1050 or can be purchased at the Drexel Box office.