In Ohio State’s loss to Purdue last Wednesday, junior Jon Diebler missed what would have been a game-tying 3-pointer as time expired.

Sunday, with just a three-point lead at Michigan State and less than two minutes remaining, the Buckeyes again called on Diebler.

This time, he didn’t disappoint.

Diebler hit what proved to be a game-clinching 3-point shot in the Buckeyes 74-67 win over the Spartans on Sunday.

“I think when you get to this stage and you got two great basketball teams playing, a lot of it comes down to someone making a big play,” OSU coach Thad Matta said. “Jon did a great job of spotting up and that was a big shot for us.”

Unlike Wednesday night, it was OSU that came out of the gates fast. A 15-0 first-half run gave the Buckeyes an early 23-12 lead, but even with a 13-point lead at halftime, the second half brought exactly what Matta expected.

“As I told our guys at halftime, you’re playing one of the best teams in the country, and they are going to make a run at you,” Matta said. “Sure enough they did.”

Michigan State came roaring back and took the lead with four minutes to go — the Spartans’ first lead since 12-10 early in the first half. It was short-lived, however, as sophomore William Buford made both ends of a one-and-one with 3:45 remaining, and with the help of Diebler’s 3-pointer, the Buckeyes took back the lead for good.

Buford finished the game with 17 points and 10 rebounds, but it was junior Evan Turner that again led the way for the Buckeyes. Turner, who came into the game battling flu-like symptoms, shook off any sickness and scored a game-high 20 points to go with his 10 rebounds and six assists.

His performance Sunday was yet another example of why he is considered a serious contender for National Player of the Year.

Though Matta said he doesn’t spend much time worrying about his potential award-winner, he knows how much Turner means to his basketball team. 

“I know this: Evan Turner is a great basketball player, he’s a great kid, he’s a great competitor and he’s a great ambassador for the Ohio State University,” Matta said. “Where he stacks up against everyone else I don’t know, but he’s really damn important to me.”

The Buckeyes and Spartans, both 21-7 overall, now sit in a tie for second place in the BigTen standings with an 11-4 conference record, one half-game behind Purdue (23-3, 11-3).

OSU travels to State College, Pa., to face Penn State Wednesday.