From practicing in a Grove City, Ohio, basement to selling out a CD release show at The Basement, local band Fever Fever is raising temperatures in Columbus.

Band members Andrew Murfin, Wes Black, Vince Gaietto and Sam Smith formed Fever Fever back when they were juniors at Grove City High School. A few years later, they are now releasing their debut “Love Quest.”

Released in November, “Love Quest” is Fever Fever’s second album. The tracks blend simple vocal harmonies and tribal chants with innovative percussion and skillfully played guitar and keyboard to create an atmospheric sound.

“If John Williams joined an African tribe and had to go through trials to become a man, he would write this soundtrack,” lead vocalist and keyboardist Andrew Murfin said.

Fever Fever is influenced by alternative bands, such as The Killers, MuteMath and U2. However, the band differentiates itself from others through its devotion to people, bassist Vince Gaietto said.

“It is about us reaching out to people,” Gaietto said. “We consider the audience members as our friends, not just fans.”

Whether friends or fans, Fever Fever has captivated audiences all over Ohio, winning seven straight battle of the bands competitions, including one in Cincinnati. However, the band has not let popularity inflate its ego.

The guys of Fever Fever do not take themselves too seriously, and their blaringly green tour bus is proof of this. Talking to them is more like watching a game of tennis, hearing jokes volleyed among the four musicians.

When they aren’t performing, the band mates are actively involved at local churches with youth groups, Gaietto said.

“We are a Christian band, but we don’t call ourselves that normally,” said Wes Black, lead guitarist and fourth-year in Spanish at Ohio State. “We don’t want to exclude anyone. We come together by uniting [people].”

The last three summers Fever Fever has gone to Tijuana, Mexico to do mission work. Playing as a band on the mission trips has given Fever Fever more exposure.

“We’ve played all the way in Tijuana and up through Massachusetts. Around here [in Columbus] we have played at the Newport and at the Basement,” Black said.

Next fall the band will begin touring through the Northeast region on the Arms of Love Tour.

“We want to be a full-time band, and we’re on our way toward it,” Murfin said. “We’ve basically just been waiting for Wes to get out of school this June.”

Until touring time, Fever Fever will remain in Columbus.

“If you see a guy with an afro and a beard [Wes] on the streets, yell out ‘Fever!’ and he’ll scream ‘Fever!’ back,” Murfin said.

The band’s album, “Love Quest”, is available on iTunes. Information about upcoming shows can be found on the band’s Web site at myspace.com/feverfever.