Film-making and Hollywood go hand-in-hand, but Columbus also has a long history rooted in film. For 42 years, Columbus has been the home of CINEVENT, a classic movie convention that attracts film enthusiasts from across the country to watch movies, buy memorabilia and interact with other film fans.

When a regional film festival called Cinecon ceased being held in Dayton, Steve Haynes, John Stingley and John J. Baker decided to start their own festival. Haynes, a student at Ohio State at the time, and the others invited 30 friends to gather and watch movies for the weekend.

Most of the attendants brought 16mm and 8mm prints of films from their private collections — this was long before VHS or DVD were introduced — and everyone voted on what to watch.

The format of the convention has changed over the years to accommodate growing attendance, and the films are scheduled ahead of time, but the purpose is still the same, Haynes said.

“Our first CINEVENT was like every one we’ve been to since because we’re like kids in a candy store,” said Steve Kukowski, who began attending with his wife Sharon in 1994. “There’s so much to see, so much to do.”

The amount of movie memorabilia available for purchase makes CINEVENT unique among film conventions. Dealers bring film prints, vintage movie posters, photographs, magazines, books, DVDs and knick-knacks to sell.

Kukowski sells 11-by-14-inch posters called lobby cards and uses the profits to purchase more. It is a hobby that began when he was a teenager who obtained posters through want ads in magazines. EBay has made this method obsolete, but Kukowski said he gets a thrill from looking through the material in person.

“What are the odds of a guy in California bringing a card to Ohio that a guy from New York has been looking for?” Kukowski said. “It’s funny how all of that comes together.”

The Hollywood Poster Auction is also an attraction. Morris Everett, Jr., will auction a large collection of movie memorabilia.

The annual auction is not affiliated with CINEVENT, but 15 years ago its organizers decided that holding both events in the same location would boost attendance for both.

In addition to the dealer room, CINEVENT hosts a screening room where 16mm prints of rare films are projected throughout each day. The films were made between 1917 and 1950 and cover all genres.

“It’s a real trip back in time,” said Dan Nather, who started driving yearly from Cincinnati to attend in 2007.

“It really made an impression on me, the things you always hear about silent movies: here is no technique in them, the camera is jerky, the people don’t know how to act … but in many respects, silent movies can be very modern,” Nather said.

Two of this year’s silent films will be “Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em” starring Louise Brooks, and “Chicago,” the silent version of the 2002 Oscar winner for best picture.

Another staple of the film screenings are short comedy films from comedians like Laurel and Hardy and Charley Chase.

“Comedies are so much better in a theater,” Nather said. “The laughs come a lot easier. You don’t feel self-conscious laughing out loud.”

In addition to the memorabilia and the films, a major reason people return year after year is the opportunity to chat with other film enthusiasts, Kukowski said.

One such enthusiast will not be attending this year. Denver Sherry, a close friend of the Kukowskis, passed away this month after a car accident.

Sherry and Sharon Kukowski had a tradition of swapping name tags on Sunday, so a slim blonde woman walked around sporting a tag that said “Denver Sherry” while a moustached man boasted a tag that said “Sharon Kukowski.”

“CINEVENT is almost secondary to the relationships,” Steve Kukowski said.

Seven-hundred people are expected to attend this year. New attendants typically comprise between 5 and 10 percent of the crowd. Haynes and other event organizers will be available at the front desk to answer questions.

CINEVENT is held in the Ramada Hotel and Conference Center at 4900 Sinclair Road.
Admission is $40 for a weekend pass or $15 per day.