Get ready to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge for a cause today at Fred Beekman Park.

A team from the Mount Leadership Society Scholars program will host a dodgeball tournament today to raise money for the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation.

The event is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. and last until 6:30 p.m.

Co-ed teams of six, at least two of which must be female, signed up Wednesday. Each team paid $30 to participate, which will all be donated to the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation.

The foundation promotes research and education for the diagnosis, treatment and cure of mitochondrial disorders and to provide support to those affected, according to its website.

“One of our members, her little sister had it, so that’s why we chose to donate our money to them,” said Amy Meeks, a first-year in accounting and financial coordinator for the event.

The United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation donated rubber bracelets for participants and helped with advertising. Meeks said she wasn’t sure if anyone from the foundation will attend.

The Mount Leadership Society consists of first- and second-years and focuses on leadership and community service. The group splits up into teams each May based on social justice issues, Meeks said.

The group that organized this event was focused on public health
issues.

Each member of the public health legacy week team was asked to bring a dodgeball team to the event. This means at least 13 teams should participate and will hopefully bring all their friends to watch, Meeks said.

Gift cards from Raising Cane’s, Noodles and Company, Johnny Rockets and Buckeye Donuts will be available for the winning teams.

Pizza, Jimmy John’s, Chipotle, and free drinks will be available during the event.

The Mount Leadership Scholars program covered the costs of the event so all proceeds will go to the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation.

Meeks said the group doesn’t have a specific monetary goal.

“We just think anything to donate to them would be good,” she said.