The arts scene in Columbus, particularly the Short North, is among the most impressive in the country, said Rocco Landesman, National Endowment for the Arts chairman.

“Not to put too much praise on (Columbus), but it’s noticeably different,” Landesman said.

Landesman met with Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee and Wexner Center for the Arts Director Sherri Geldin yesterday to get a feel for the arts of Columbus.

Landesman was a Broadway theater producer before being appointed chairman in 2009. The NEA is an independent agency of the federal government and the nation’s largest annual funder for the arts.

“I’m very optimistic that everyone is coming around to the importance of the arts, both in the university setting as well as the community,” Landesman said about the future of federal funding for the arts.

Charlotte Kessler, National Council on the Arts member and former Wexner board member, accompanied Landesman and Gee in a discussion about the noticeable difference between the arts Columbus has to offer versus other cities that Landesman has visited.

He went on to describe how other universities, such as the Universities of Minnesota and of Wisconsin, failed to attain the level of excellence in the arts that Columbus exhibits. Landesman and Kessler were especially exuberant about the Short North “arts district.”

“I’m fascinated by the Short North, how the arts can transform a neighborhood,” Landesman said.

Gee quickly began discussing his plans to transform OSU into “One University,” a plan that aims to unite colleges into more accessible districts. One of the ideas is to create 10-minute walk circles, which will function as neighborhoods, creating a more intimate university experience.

“From an art’s perspective, this is a tremendous project,” Landesman said.

Along High Street and 15th Avenue will be the focus on the arts. The plan could take anywhere from 20 to 50 years to develop and complete.

The NEA announced earlier in the year that it would be distributing $26.9 million to support 1,207 projects nationwide this year.

“What we’re basically doing is stealing funding from other federal agencies,” Landesman said.

Jamie Bennett, communications chief for Landesman, said the NEA chairman is unique from past chairmen because he is visiting cities other than just New York City before the grant applications are processed and any formal decisions are made. He said Landesman is on a listening tour, trying to see what different cities have to offer the arts world.

“We’re going to change your name from Rocco to Santa,” Gee said to Landesman.

Also present at the meeting was Alexander Fischer, president and CEO of the Columbus Partnership, which formed to enhance the economic and cultural aspects of Columbus.

“Some see (the art of Columbus) as philanthropy, but I see it as a way to sell Columbus,” Fischer said.

Fischer described “using the arts as a drive for the city,” not only culturally but also economically, attracting business to Columbus. He was interested in the potential for new business opportunities, which the Wexner helps to provide the city.

“I think it’s great to see what you’re doing to extend out of the city,” Landesman said.