Just nine months ago, Anthony Vine, a fourth-year in music composition, began working on his original composition “Transmission,” and Friday the Ohio State Symphony Orchestra will premiere his work and feature five other solos as part of their annual Concerto Concert.

The performance will begin at 8 p.m. in Weigel Hall Auditorium.

Each year, the symphony orchestra’s conductor, Marshall Haddock, and the OSU composition faculty commission one undergraduate or graduate student to compose a musical work for the orchestra, Vine said in an email.

Haddock was not available for comment.

Vine was chosen last fall and worked with his composition professors starting in October.

“‘Transmission’ attempts to express the nature of our perpetually connected modern world; individualism lost beneath a sea of mass data and exchange,” Vine said in an email.

After Vine completed his composition in March, the symphony orchestra began rehearsing his work.

“In general, I am very pleased with the orchestra’s efforts and enthusiasm,” Vine said in an email. “Typically, the orchestra does not perform much contemporary literature, so for being outside of their comfort zone, they are handling it well.”

The Concerto Concert, held at the end of Spring Quarter each year, will also feature the top five musicians in areas including vocal, string, piano, woodwinds, brass and percussion, said Vera Cremeans, a fifth-year in vocal performance and music education, who will be featured as a soprano soloist at the concert.

The concert will include piano, marimba, vocal, clarinet, and flute solos. In January, a panel including Haddock and heads from each music area decided which students would perform at the concert.

“The concert is obviously important to the performer because it is a sense of accomplishment,” Cremeans said. “The contest is important to the program because it helps to foster a sense of competitiveness within the school of music.”

Lauren Watkins, a fourth-year flute performance major, was selected as the flute soloist. She will be fulfilling a childhood dream of playing a movement from Reinecke’s “Flute Concerto in D major.”

“I saw the principal flutist of my youth orchestra perform this piece, and I really did fall in love with it,” Watkins said. “I would listen to it every night before going to bed, and I hoped that one day I could perform the concerto with an orchestra.”

Other soloists will include pianist Qian “YoYo” Liu, Amanda Lyon on marimba, and clarinetist Gunnar Hirthe. There will also be guest student conductors, John Oelrich and Tim Berens.

The symphony orchestra is a one-credit-hour class available to music majors and non-majors, said Christine Wu, a second-year in cello performance and neuroscience.

Wu hopes OSU students will come to the concert to enjoy the many talents of the students being showcased.

“Whether you are a musician or not, it’s always very inspiring when you get to hear people who are so talented and so passionate about music,” Wu said.

Tickets will be available at the door. General admission is $6, and seniors and students with an ID can purchase tickets for $4.