This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” in which The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Apple changes their tune

Pop dominatrix Taylor Swift posted an open letter to Apple on Sunday via her Tumblr (a site that’s surprisingly still relevant). In her letter, Swift urged the company to reconsider not paying artists during Apple Music’s free three-month trial period. Apple Music is the company’s response to streaming sites such as Spotify and Tidal. After Swift’s post made its rounds on the internet, Apple backed down and said they would indeed pay artists during the trial.

Wow, Swift is so compassionate towards budding artists. She really cares about others doing well and not at all about the business politics behind the music industry.

Sarcasm aside, the swift nature in which Apple changed its tune hints that there’s more behind the blog post. The move makes both parties look good. It solidifies Swift’s power and influence in the music industry. It makes Apple look like they really listen to artists and their desires. Swift isn’t the first artist to raise hell about the way musicians aren’t being compensated fairly for their art. Remember Metallica? People said they were greedy, but pretty-faced pop princess Swift is applauded and immediately catered to.

The music and the journalism industry have both struggled to make money in the digital age. It’s a question with hypothetical answers that have been examined and analyzed for years. It’s not something that will be easily fixed with a blog post from Swift.

In the meantime, I’ll just listen to some indie record that’s much cooler than hers.

Rose is the new black

Since season three of “Orange is the New Black” premiered on June 11, people have been all about Ruby Rose. Rose, an Australian model and actress, plays inmate Stella Carlin in the series. Rose is known for her short undercut hairstyle, strong cheekbones, killer tattoos and proclaimed gender fluidity. The actress made a short film titled “Break Free” in which she sheds long blonde hair and a gown for a suit and even a strap-on. The film portrays how Rose sheds gender norms for what makes her comfortable and happy.

But what most OITNB viewers care about is that Rose is strikingly hot.

Some female fans took to Twitter and other social media to say that they’d “go gay” for Rose. There’s contention as to whether this weakens the argument that sexuality is not a choice. But I would argue that any conversation about Rose further promotes her cause and message.

Personally, I just want to be her because that’s one badass chick.