University President Michael Drake speaks at Brutus’ 50th birthday gala on Nov. 6 at the Ohio Union. Credit: Michael Huson | Campus Editor

Ohio State University President Michael Drake is scheduled to deliver his State of the University Address Jan. 21, which was previously scheduled for Nov. 30 but was postponed. It will take place in the Saxbe Law Auditorium in Drinko Hall.

The address was postponed in the wake of student deaths during fall semester, including the tragedy at the Mirror Lake jump.

With the decision to postpone the address, the university also cancelled a farewell reception for former OSU Provost and Executive Vice President Joseph Steinmetz.

“This decision was made … after the horrible tragedy that we experienced at Mirror Lake, and it was apparent that it would be inappropriate for business to continue as usual,” University Spokesman Chris Davey said in December.

This will be Drake’s second State of the University Address at OSU, and it will be delivered after the University Senate meeting at 3:30 p.m., Davey said in an email. Drake delivered his first University Address on Dec. 30, 2014.

“We have had a highly successful year by multiple measures: most talented class in history, national recognition for excellence, research breakthroughs, five national championships, most donors in university history,” Davey said. He also mentioned that the university raised more than $100 million for cancer research through Pelotonia, took strides in affordability, and raised $2.5 billion in the university campaign.

2016 will bring another first to OSU, with a Volunteer Summit on April 14, the first of its kind, to bring together OSU community members to strategize and discuss the best practices for addressing food security with the help of Buckeye Nation.

Davey said Drake will be speaking about the university’s 2020 Vision plan’s progress, which focuses on “access, affordability and excellence; community outreach; and diversity and inclusion.”

Drake’s speech will also be made available online on Jan. 21.