A Buckeye Alert and public safety notice was issued by the Ohio State Department of Public Safety Thursday evening following a robbery at the Buckeye Village Community Center.

A male student reported that a suspect approached him on the second floor of the center at approximately 5:30 p.m. and implied he had a gun, the safety notice stated. The suspect then punched the student in the face several times before taking his computer and cellphone.

The suspect is described in the safety notice as a 5-foot-6 white male with a black beard and mustache weighing 160 pounds. He was wearing a black sweatshirt printed with the letters “HBA,” black pants and a black hat, the notice stated. The suspect is no longer believed to be on campus, and no arrests have been made.

Buckeye Alerts are messages sent out by the university “when it is determined that the campus community needs to take immediate action to remain safe,” as defined by the Department of Public Safety’s website.

In an emailed statement regarding the issuance of the Buckeye Alert, the Department of Public Safety said the original incident report received by the police dispatch said there was a man with a gun, however, after officers arrived at the scene, “it was determined through speaking to the victim that he did not see a gun but the gun was implied.”

The first alert was sent out at 5:39 p.m., according to the department’s website.

A second Buckeye Alert, declaring the situation “all clear,” was sent out at 5:51 p.m., according to the website. That message also stated that officers were on scene and would remain in the area.

The safety notice also stated that extra patrols would remain in Buckeye Village and the northwest part of campus throughout the evening.

Anyone with information regarding this crime is asked to contact University Police at 614-292-2121 or Columbus Police at 614-645-4545.