The Andy Shaw Band (L to R) Jeff Bass, Jesse Barr, Chris Shaw, Andy Shaw, Jim Shaw, and Dale Alkula. Credit: Courtesy of Jodi Miller.

Bob Marley would have been 72 years old next Monday, and a long-running local band believes that’s cause for celebration.  

On Saturday, reggae-rock group Andy Shaw Band will pay tribute to the late icon, playing a strictly-Marley show at Scarlet and Grey Cafe. This will be the band’s fourth annual Bob Marley tribute concert.

Lead singer Andy Shaw said the group always liked doing special events and Marley has been a constant influence for the band throughout its run. Shaw said it is an especially good time to honor musicians such as Marley, whose songs often delve into political and social issues.

Andy Shaw founded the band in 2005 with brother and drummer, Chris Shaw, as well as his father and keyboardist, Jim Shaw.

Since its inception, the group has performed at large-scale events such as South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas, and Hookahville Festival in Pataskala, Ohio. In the beginning, Andy Shaw said the band participated in themed shows to help build a fanbase, and they continue to enjoy such shows today, such as Wafflepalooza. The band has also held several one-time events over the years featuring free hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches, among others.

As for what to expect Saturday, the band members said they are excited to be changing venues from the tribute’s previous venue, Brothers Drake Meadery, which recently took out its stage.

“It’ll definitely help out with the production value of the show,” Chris Shaw said.  He also added that this year’s show could bring in a younger crowd from Ohio State, due to Scarlet and Grey’s close proximity to OSU’s north campus.

The tribute show is set for Saturday night, with the Andy Shaw Band performing at 11 p.m.  Openers will include local jazz-reggae fusion band, Bop Marley at 9 p.m. and fellow local band, Urban Tropics at 10 p.m.  Tickets are $5 at the door.