Ohio State redshirt sophomore defender Jincy Dunne (33) prepares to send the puck back down the ice in the first period of the game against Minnesota on Jan. 19. Ohio State won 3-2. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The Ohio State women’s hockey team dominated Minnesota State in the first game of a three-game series in the opening round of the WCHA tournament Friday with a 6-0 victory at the OSU Ice Rink.

Ohio State redshirt junior Kassidy Sauve did not play due to an injur. In her place, freshman goaltender Amanda Zeglen saved all of the Mavericks’ 21 shots.

“Zeglen controlled the pucks,” Ohio State head coach Nadine Muzerall said. “The rebounds she got, she put them in the corner. It wasn’t just a win. It was a well deserved win.”

Ohio State junior forward Maddy Field pulled off a hat trick, scoring one first-period goal and adding two more in the third period.

“Maddy Field stepped up,” Muzerall said. “She’s been going in waves with scoring goals. Her role is a goal scorer, so mentally that was really good for her confidence and very deserving. She’s been working very hard on that part of her game.”

Field’s final goal was her 16th of the season.

“I’ve kind of been struggling on that end,” Field said. “It was nice to be able to put the puck in and I think it was a really nice start for the team.”

Junior forward Charly Dahlquist, junior defender Lauren Boyle and freshman forward Emma Maltais also scored one goal apiece for the Buckeyes.

“I thought we did a really good job of incorporated all five people in the offensive zone,” Muzerall said. “We did a good job on keeping their shots to the outside on Zeglen. She made some good [saves] but, I think we also did a good job, defensively, on keeping them to the perimeter.”

Ohio State moved relentlessly early in the game and took a three-goal lead within the game’s first period. Dahlquist opened the game with a goal just 1:56 after the puck dropped, then Field and Boyle each scored with less than four minutes remaining in the first period.

Minnesota State sophomore goaltender Chloe Crosby was replaced by junior goaltender Katie Bidulka after 46 minutes of play. Crosby had 16 saves and allowed six goals. Bidulka saved all five shots she faced.

Muzerall said the Buckeyes’ strategy did not alter despite entering tournament play for the first time this season.

“Our strategy is to simplify the game, at this point to me it’s a mental toughness,” Muzerall said. “We were just preparing them to have that toughness and to be relentless on the puck and no regrets.”

Two weeks prior to the tournament opener, the Buckeyes traveled to Mankato, Minnesota, and split a series against the Mavericks. Earlier in the season, Ohio State swept a series against Minnesota State.

“Six [to] nothing after we split with them two weeks ago,” Muzerall said. “I’m proud of the girls, they got it done tonight.”

The Buckeyes will once again face off with the Mavericks at 3:07 p.m Saturday at the OSU Ice Rink with the chance to advance to the second round of the conference tournament.