Former Ohio State linebacker Chris Spielman visits Lantern TV’s studio in 2015. Credit: Lantern File Photo

Former All-American linebacker Chris Spielman and the Ohio State University have reached a settlement in a lawsuit regarding the university’s use of athletes’ names and images.

In a joint statement released by the university and Spielman, both parties “have resolved their differences concerning the use of Mr. Spielman’s name and image on banners that used to hang in Ohio Stadium.”

According to settlement documents obtained by The Lantern, Spielman will receive $140,000 in damages and that he will release all claims held against Ohio State in return. The documents also state that Spielman will “not make any disparaging statements or representations, either directly or indirectly … to any person whatsoever, about the other parties in this agreement.”

The statement also said that both parties are pleased the dispute is resolved.

Spielman was the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit against Ohio State and IMG, a global sports talent management company beginning in July 2017. The suit focused on banners in Ohio State portraying the likeness and names of several former Ohio State players with a corporate logo for Honda.

“We are pleased that the claims against OSU have been resolved and our focus is now on IMG and the pending litigation in Federal Court,” Bret Adams, Spielman’s attorney said via statement.

The statement said Spielman will donate his earnings to the William White Family Fund for ALS and the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research.

Neither Ohio State nor Spielman will comment further on the subject, according to the statement.

Updated at 7:27 p.m. with statement from Bret Adams, Spielman’s attorney. 

Updated on Dec. 1 at 5:27 p.m. with information from the settlement documents obtained by The Lantern.