Ohio State junior defensive end Nick Bosa (97) runs to tackle another member of Rutgers’ offensive team during the first half of the game on Sept. 8. Ohio State won 52-3. Credit: Amal Saeed | Assistant Photo Editor

Former Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa was selected as the No. 2 overall pick in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers.

Bosa had been considered a lock for a top spot in the draft after shutting down his junior season for the Buckeyes following a groin injury against TCU on Sept. 15.

In three games this past season, the Florida native racked up four sacks and six tackles for loss, which was enough to be awarded All-Big Ten honorable mention despite the limited playing time.

The Buckeyes held a combined overall record of 36-5 during Bosa’s three-year tenure, and in 29 games he recorded 17.5 sacks with 29 tackles for loss and 77 total tackles.

His 2017 campaign saw Bosa named All-American along with winning the Big Ten Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year award as his 8.5 sacks were second-most in the conference.

Bosa joins brother Joey and father John as fellow first-round NFL Draft selections at the defensive end position. Joey, who won the 2015 National Championship with the Buckeyes, was the No. 3 overall selection to the San Diego Chargers in 2016, and John was the No. 16 pick out of Boston College in 1987.