The Ohio State men’s soccer team stands for the National Anthem before its night match against Michigan on Oct. 2. Ohio State lost 0-2. Credit: Mackenzie Shanklin | For the Lantern

The Buckeyes’ losing ways continued Saturday with a 3-1 loss at Michigan State.

Ohio State men’s soccer (6-7-1, 1-3-1 Big Ten) went to East Lansing, Michigan, seeking to end a stretch of one win in the past seven games, but Michigan State (3-7-3, 3-1-1) handed the Buckeyes another loss. 

The Buckeyes found the back of the net with a 26th-minute strike by junior forward Matteo Bennati. 

However, the Spartans returned fire with three unanswered goals, starting with a 39th-minute goal by sophomore forward Farai Mutatu. 

Michigan State outplayed Ohio State in the second half and proved too much for the Buckeyes. The Spartans had 13 shots in the second half to Ohio State’s six.

Michigan State struck early in the second half with a 49th-minute goal by freshman forward Connor George. Redshirt sophomore midfielder Alex Shterenberg crossed a ball into junior midfielder Michael Miller, who passed to George for the score. 

The Spartans took advantage of the momentum with a 55th-minute goal off a corner by senior defender Michael Wetungu. Assists were credited to Miller and redshirt junior defender Patrick Nielsen. 

The Buckeyes did not go down without a fight. Ohio State junior forward Joe Ortiz placed a shot on goal at the 78th minute, but it was saved by Michigan State redshirt sophomore goalie Hunter Morse. 

Ohio State returns to Columbus for a home game against Maryland at 7 p.m. Friday.