Campus recreation facilities have added three new fitness classes. Credit: Maria Fernandez | Former Lantern reporter

Students can lift, sweat and stretch in all new ways with the latest additions to the Recreational Sports fitness class schedule.

Rec Sports added three new classes at campus fitness centers this semester: Barbell Beatz, Full Body Express and Flex & Flow.

Alice Adams, group fitness programming and education manager, said Rec Sports’ mission is to appeal to all students.

“Barbell Beatz is a 50-minute cardio barbell class set to the rhythm of the music, focusing on foundational barbell strength movements performed with high repetition,” Kayla Konczos, a second-year in veterinary medicine and instructor of the class, said.

Konczos said she finds staying on beat to be motivating in keeping up with the exercises and sweating.

Barbell Beatz differs from Cardio Barbell, another RPAC class offering full-body strength training with bursts of cardio, because music guides the flow of the class. 

Adams said Full Body Express is a 45-minute total-body cardio and strength class that appeals to those on a time crunch.

“It’s great for when you’re short on time and need an hour to do everything like work out, get changed and make it to work or class or anything,” Adams said. 

Gillian Jennings, a fourth-year in special education and instructor of the class, said she was inspired to bring Flex & Flow to campus after attending the annual Midwest Fit Fest last year.

“It’s a yoga class, but I also add free weights for strength and a little cardio training,” Jennings said. “So I love that it’s a little of everything.”

Barbell Beatz is offered at 4:10 p.m. on Tuesdays in the RPAC Room B30. Full Body Express is offered at 6:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and 11:45 a.m. on Thursdays in the RPAC Room B30. Flex & Flow is offered at 11:45 a.m. on Mondays in the North Recreation Center Room 210.

All group fitness classes are free for students and other Recreational Sports members. More information and a complete schedule can be found on the Recreational Sports website.