a

Ohio State junior guard Braxtin Miller (10) shoots a three pointer during the game against OU Nov. 17. Ohio State lost 68-74. Credit: Meghan Carroll | Lantern Reporter

It was a tale of two halves for Ohio State women’s basketball Monday night, but the Buckeyes picked the wrong one to win.

The Buckeyes (8-6, 1-2 Big Ten) failed to follow up their Tuesday win over Minnesota and fell 72-62 to No. 17 Maryland (11-3, 2-1) on the road.

Ohio State led 42-35 at halftime, but Maryland ramped up its defense in the second half, holding the Buckeyes to just 20 points in the final two quarters.

The Buckeyes offense came out to a hot start from 3-point range, hitting 6-for-13 in the first half. The second half wasn’t quite as fruitful from beyond the arc, as Ohio State hit just 2-for-13.

Ohio State struggled with an aggressive press defense from Maryland in the second half as they had 15 turnovers, including more turnovers than points in the third quarter. The Terrapins took advantage of the Buckeyes’ struggles and scored 26 points off of turnovers.

Maryland dominated in the paint, outscoring the Buckeyes 46-18.

The Terrapins were led by senior guard Kaila Charles, the preseason Big Ten Player of the Year, as she produced a career high 28 points –– 18 of them coming in the second half.

The Buckeyes finished with three scorers in double figures, as both sophomore forward Dorka Juhász and freshman guard Jacy Sheldon finished with 12 points, while junior guard Braxtin Miller contributed 11 points of her own.

Ohio State returns to Value City Arena Thursday night for a 6 p.m. tipoff with No. 24 Michigan.