Ohio State then-sophomore catcher Dillon Dingler delivers a strike to second base. Credit: Courtesy of Ohio State Athletics

Ohio State baseball opened its season in Port Charlotte, Florida, with a three-game weekend series at the Snowbird classic.

No. 24 Ohio State (2-1) dropped to St. Joseph’s 7-3 before claiming wins against Pittsburgh and Indiana State by scores of 4-1 and 10-6, respectively.

Game 1

The Buckeyes began the season Friday against St. Joseph’s, but they got off on the wrong foot.

The Hawks built their lead on a three-run home run by senior left fielder Langston Livingston in the fourth inning, handing them a 4-1 advantage they wouldn’t relinquish.

St. Joseph’s senior pitcher Jordan DiValerio turned in a strong start, throwing five innings and allowing one run, which was unearned. He struck out nine Ohio State batters against just one walk.

No Buckeye batters turned in a multiple-hit performance.

Ohio State junior catcher Dillon Dingler drove in two of Ohio State’s three runs, tying the game at 1-1 in the third inning with a sacrifice fly before batting in the game’s final tally with a triple in the ninth.

Game 2

Following the opening day loss, the Buckeyes showed resilience by taking down Pittsburgh 4-1. 

The Ohio State pitching staff stole the show, as redshirt sophomore pitcher Seth Lonsway collected the fifth double-digit strikeout game of his career by fanning 12 in six innings.

The dominance on the mound continued in relief with sophomore pitcher Bayden Root, who tied his career high with six strikeouts in three shutout innings to earn a save.

Dingler and sophomore third baseman Zach Dezenzo led the Buckeye offense with two hits each. Dezenzo also batted in a run.

Senior infielder Noah West, freshman infielder Nate Karaffa and redshirt junior utility Scottie Seymour each joined Dezenzo with RBIs of their own.

Game 3

The final game of the Buckeyes’ opening series was an extra-inning victory against Indiana State Sunday.

After losing a 6-4 lead in the bottom of the ninth, senior first baseman Conner Pohl drove in three of his four RBIs in the top of the 10th inning to seal the game for the Buckeyes.

Redshirt senior pitcher Patrick Murphy was the winning pitcher, closing it out in the bottom of the 10th to give Ohio State its second win in as many games.

The Buckeyes take the field next at Georgia Tech for a three-game series beginning Feb. 21.