Adams starts fall season with individual title

Five Buckeye women competed in the St. Mary’s Fall Classic tennis tournament. Junior Lindsey Adams led the way with her victory in the Flight Seven championship match.

Along the way, Adams defeated Seva Iwinski from Texas A&M in the first round and Erin Cohn from Tennessee in the second round. The culmination of the wins was a three-set match against North Carolina’s Tanya Markovic. Adams won the final match Sunday, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 6-3.

Also competing in the Knoxville Tenn., tournament were Ohio State’s Lindsay Bryan, Jackie Leskovar, Lindsay Williams and Emily DeCamilla.

Bryan, Willliams and DeCamilla also won their matches Sunday. All of the OSU singles players competed in different Flights for the wins. They were all able to keep the matches to two sets.

Leskovar was defeated by North Carolina State’s Barbara Orlay, 6-2, 6-4. The senior did, however, win a consolation match in Flight One.

The women, along with other teammates, will start competing as a team on Friday. The Cissie Leary Invitational will be hosted by the University of Pennsylvania this weekend.

Coach returns to OSU with plans to help out in the water

Ohio State gains a familiar face to the men’s swimming and diving team. D.J. Kelley was named assistant coach Thursday.

Kelley served on the coaching staff from 2001-2002 as a volunteer coach for the Buckeyes. Kelley served as head swimming coach at Gahanna-Lincoln High School during his time away form OSU.

A Buckeye swimmer during the 1997-2001 seasons, Kelly earned four letters and a captain’s award. He was a Big Ten qualifier every year he swam.

Kelley’s other achievements include a coach’s award in 2001 and a top 10 OSU 100-yard breaststroke time. He is also credited with leading the New Albany Country Club swim team to three championships and an undefeated record of 15-0 as a coach.

OSU gymnastics looks for talent with freshmen

The Ohio State women’s gymnastic team will add three freshmen to the roster for the 2003-2004 season. The newcomers will be a way to add depth to specialization areas.

Elizabeth Ahlberg comes to Columbus from San Antonio, Texas. She was a member of the Elite Gymnastics Club of San Antonio, where she qualified for regional competition three times. The vault and all-around events are Ahlberg’s specialties. Earlier this year at the Houston National Invitational, she took first place in the all-around. She has also received second- and third- place honors in the vault at regional competitions.

Brittany Livingston and Christina McDaniel will not have to travel as far to be Buckeyes. Livingston comes from Lisle, Illi., and has placed in the vault, balance beam and floor exercises in the previous years. Her most recent accomplishment was in 2002 when she was named to the Region Five All-Star Team. Livingston also led the Illinois Gymnastics Institute to three team state championships and a first-place finish at the 2001 Junior Olympic nationals.

McDaniel came to OSU from Sunbury, Ohio. She won the state balance beam title in 2002 and took second in the vault. In 2003, McDaniel placed second in the state balance beam, vault and all-around, and finished fifth on the balance beam at regional competition.